This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6529 / 57°39'10"N
Longitude: -3.4026 / 3°24'9"W
OS Eastings: 316392
OS Northings: 863417
OS Grid: NJ163634
Mapcode National: GBR K8ZH.D1R
Mapcode Global: WH6J5.PXX3
Plus Code: 9C9RMH3W+4X
Entry Name: Gatepiers, Newton House
Listing Name: Newton House, Gatepiers and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 25 April 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333227
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2327
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich
Traditional County: Morayshire
Dated 1793 and 1852. Additions and alterations with some
internal remodelling, Thomas Mackenzie, 1852. Tall
2-storey and attic house over raised basement (3-storey,
U-plan rear), 5-bays, S facing. Harled with tooled and
polished ashlar margins and dressings. Plain late 18th
century house with 1852 embellishments, particularly to
upper storey. Advanced and gabled centre bay with 1852
porch approached by flight of steps oversailing raised
basement; pilastered and corniced entrance with florid
Jacobean detailing, lunette and banded obelisk finials;
tall canted 1st floor window above. Plain chamfered
margins to ground and 1st floor windows; carved and
monogrammed pediments to 1852 dormers; corbelled angle
bartizans with conical bellcast fishscale slated roofs;
moulded corbel and string courses; decorative water spouts.
Projecting wing set back at E with raised ground floor
canted oriel with corbelled base decorated with masks
and with corbelled stone roof.
2 rear wings project to form U-plan service court.
Mainly 4-pane glazing. Crowstepped gables; end batteries
of coped stacks with diamond flues; slate roofs. Small
sun porch (circa 1975) at W of house.
INTERIOR- entrance hall re-modelled by Thomas Mackenzie
1852 with arcaded and columned screen, rounded-headed
niches and deep mouldings. Curved 1793 cantilevered
staircase rises full-height with plain balusters and
DRAWING ROOM: 1852 marble chimneypiece, ceiling cornice
and doorway, flanked by glazed wall cupboards, linking
back sitting room.
DINING ROOM: black marble chimneypiece; simple panelled
dado and mouljded ceiling cornice.
1st FLOOR: some evidence of remodelling of former 1st
floor drawing-room area; 18th century fielded panelled
doors survive in 1st floor.
GATEPIERS (MAIN ENTRANCE): pair plain square ashlar
gatepiers with pulvinated string course, moulded cornice
and ball finials.
WALLED GARDEN: circa 1800 walled garden extends to N of
house; coped rubble walls.
Newton House built by George Forteath in 1793; it passed
to his nephew Alexander Williamson (who took the name
of Forteath) in 1815. Alexander Forteath was factor for
the Trustees of the Earl of Fife's estates and took an
active role in the public life of Moray. The property
remained in the Forteath family until the 1930s.