History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Windsor House (Former Church of Scotland Manse), Steading and Walled Garden

A Category B Listed Building in Alves, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6484 / 57°38'54"N

Longitude: -3.4516 / 3°27'5"W

OS Eastings: 313455

OS Northings: 862984

OS Grid: NJ134629

Mapcode National: GBR K8VH.TV9

Mapcode Global: WH5H6.Y0JY

Entry Name: Windsor House (Former Church of Scotland Manse), Steading and Walled Garden

Listing Date: 25 April 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333237

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2332

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Alves

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Crook of Alves

Description

Probably William Robertson, Elgin, 1832-5. S facing,
2-storey over raised basement, 3-bay house. Harl pointed
rubble, harled flanks, polished ashlar margins and
dressings. Centre entrance with corniced and pilastered
doorpiece, rectangular fanlight and panelled door. 2
ground floor and 1st floor window in W gable. 12-pane
glazing; twin coped ridge stacks; shallow piended slate
roof with projecting soffitted eaves.
INTERIOR: slender wooden balusters to staircases:
panelled window shutters.
STEADING: also probably William Robertson, 1829. L-plan
range, rubble, contrasting tooled ashlar dressings.
Single storey and loft, 4-bay stable and gighouse with
long elevation facing W and with modern garage doors
closing 2 former gighouse entrances; 4 loft windows
with later shutters. Further single storey byre range
at right angles. Piended slate roofs.
WALLED GARDEN: 1830. Sited between steading and house.
Rubble walled garden with tooled ashlar cope.

Statement of Interest

Before 1829 the manse of Alves was in a ruinous state

and the Minister granted (1829) $40 per annum in lieu of

manse until 1834 when the new manse was to be completed

on a site westwards of the old. The new site was agreed

for the new steading and walled garden by 1829 and these

were completed before the manse which was finished in

1835.

William Robertson is known to have worked for Mr

Alexander Forteath of Newton, one of the Heritors and

probably for Miss Brodie of Milton Brodie, another

Heritor.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.