This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6349 / 57°38'5"N
Longitude: -3.4666 / 3°27'59"W
OS Eastings: 312532
OS Northings: 861494
OS Grid: NJ125614
Mapcode National: GBR K8TJ.SX6
Mapcode Global: WH5H6.QCGC
Entry Name: Alves Parish Church (Church of Scotland, Former Free Church) and Enclosing Wall.
Listing Date: 25 April 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333238
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2333
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich
Traditional County: Morayshire
1845, probably John Urquhart, architect, Forres,
remodelled with extensive interior refitting and with
rear wing, A and W Reid and Melvin, 1878 (church dated
1878). Rectangular church with N facing entrance gable
and long 3-bay E and W elevatons. Harled, tooled and
polished ashlar margins and dressings.
Centre bay in N gable projecting as tower with
round-headed entrance leading to recessed porch, louvred
opening 2nd stage, square open balustraded bellcote with
shaped angle finials above. Paired narrow bays flanking
entrance delineated by shallow margined pilaster strips
clasping angles and supporting simple entablature
returning by 1 bay. 2 round-headed windows each side of
porch, 2 in gable head, 3 similar windows to E and W
elevations; large wheel window in centre of rear (S)
gable. Lattice-pane glazing. Slate roof.
1878 single storey, 4-bay gabled room at rear; harl
pointed rubble, tooled ashlar dressings; 12-pane
glazing. Ridge stack; slate roof.
INTERIOR: galleried interior, the gallery supported by
slender cast-iron columns rising through gallery to
ceiling, the centre portion of which is barrel vaulted
longitudinally. 1878 pine panelled front to gallery;
1878 balustraded platform type pulpit reached by flight
2 bells by Michael Burgherhys Holland, dated 1637 and
1639, removed from old Alves parish church in 1978, now
displayed in church
ENCLOSING WALL: church enclosed by simple drystone
rubble wall with entrance flanked by square gatepiers
with shallow pyramidal caps; pair cast-iron gates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Circa 1845 church described in 1878 as being a
'temporary' structure with a flat felt roof; side walls
and part of frontage (John Urquhart, architect, Forres?)
incorporated in present building; also the bellcote
which originally rested on the wallhead.
The bells now inside church (smaller of 1637 and the
larger 1639) removed from the old parish church in 1978
to commemorate the centenary of building in present
Other nearby listed buildings