This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5547 / 57°33'16"N
Longitude: -3.489 / 3°29'20"W
OS Eastings: 310997
OS Northings: 852598
OS Grid: NJ109525
Mapcode National: GBR K8RR.GJ5
Mapcode Global: WH5HL.CCTV
Plus Code: 9C9RHG36+VC
Entry Name: South Entrance Gate Piers, Dallas Lodge
Listing Name: Dallas Lodge and Gatepiers (South Entrance)
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333244
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2338
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Morayshire
Late 17th century. semi-ciruclar single and 2-storey
crowstepped range of farm offices, the eastern part of
which now incorporated in 1901 dwelling house designed
by W L Carruthers, Inverness. Rubble tooled and polished
ashlar dressings. centre round-headed archway with 1901
keystone and detailing, to W curved single and 2-storey
steading ranges, the end 2-storey block converted as
dwelling with modern rear fenestration. At E the curved
range has 1901 dormors breaking wallhead under
round-headed gablets, its end S gable projecting through
a 2-storey, 9-bay dwelling house clasping it at right
angles. Irregular S frontage to 1901 house with varied
fenestration and glazing. Crowstepped gables; coped end
and ridge; slate roofs.
INTERIOR:simple house interior with staircase curving
up side of incorpated late 17th century outside wall.
Some portions retain original pegged rafter roofs.
GATEPIERS (NJ 110 526): (S entrance), probably later
18th century. Pair ashlar gatepiers with moulded
corniced caps and ball finials on attenuated bases. Pair
decorative wrought-iron gates.
Dallas estate (Rhininver) purchased by Sir Robert Gordon
of Gordonstoun in 1668 and it would have been he who
built the semi-circular range of offices after the manner
of the Round Square at Gordonstoun. It was intended that
the crescent shaped steading was to have been fronted by
a house, which was never constructed. By 1798 'commodious
temporary accommodation is neatly fitted up'. The
property passed (as did Gordonstoun) to Gordon Cumming
of Altyre, Rafford and was sold by that family in 1907
to the Houldsworth family in whose possession it remains.
W L Carruther's drawings (NMR) show clearly the curved
range of the late 17th century building incorporated in
the later additions.
W L Carruthers also designed the stables and other estate
buildings grouped to rear of Dallas Lodge; of these only
Kennels Cottage, Netherwood and Dallas Cottage are
included in listing and are itemised separately.