This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5678 / 57°34'3"N
Longitude: -3.3958 / 3°23'44"W
OS Eastings: 316602
OS Northings: 853933
OS Grid: NJ166539
Mapcode National: GBR K8ZQ.H4T
Mapcode Global: WH6JR.T14T
Entry Name: Kellas House
Listing Date: 25 April 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333255
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2345
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Morayshire
Frank Deas, 1913-21. Scottish Arts and Crafts. Roughly
L-plan, 2-storey asymmetrical house with entrance at N
with S garden front in principal arm of L. Harled, ashlar
L-plan N entrance front with off-centre entrance,
circular drum tower stairwell in re-entrant angle and
service wing left. 2-storey, rectangular plan porch with segmental-headed, keystoned entrance, chamfered angles at
1st floor rising to ashlar balustraded wallhead; small
centre corbelled oriel with carved decoration depicting
stylised foliage and roses. 2 long round-headed windows
light stair tower; irregular fenestration include 1st
floor and gablet oculi.
6-bay S garden front with segmental-headed ground floor
fenestration, side entrance and full height projecting
canted window; single storey verandah at SW with shaped
wooden balustered wallhead infills re-entrant angle
Irregular E elevation with another drum stair-tower and
mullioned window under wallhead balustrade.
Narrow W elevation with single storey bowed and
balustraded porch leading to study/gunroom.
Rear service court entered through segmental-headed arch
linking intergral garage.
Multi-pane glazing. Shaped gables with flat skews; coped
ridge and wallhead stacks; Caithness slate roofs.
INTERIOR: entrance porch leads to hall-corridor running
E-W with study entrance at right (W) and stairwell at E.
Simple staircase with wide lower trades and splayed
balustrade seated in tapered newel-column rising to
ceiling; flat shaped oak balusters, linked at turn of
stairs by square newel post carved with low relief
DRAWING ROOM: long S facing room with hearths each end,
divisible by sliding doors across centre of room. Wide
recessed chimneypiece at E, tiled below mantelshelf with
either plain white or decorative coloured Dutch tiles
and panelled above; original grate and fender. W hearth
in deeper, inglenook style recess; as at E but narrower,
the upper part plain but flanked by round-headed shelved
alcoves; simple moulded ceiling.
DINING ROOM: D-ended at N end with tiled chimneypiece
right and service door left; shelved alcove above
fireplace; moulded cornice.
House designed by Frank Deas for his cousin, Mr George
Christie. Though commenced in 1913 it was not completed
until after the 1st World War. The site was a piece of
bare hillside overlooking the River Lossie. The present
mature garden was designed and planted by Mr Christie,
whose family continue to own Kellas House.
Other nearby listed buildings