This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4749 / 57°28'29"N
Longitude: -3.2004 / 3°12'1"W
OS Eastings: 328106
OS Northings: 843370
OS Grid: NJ281433
Mapcode National: GBR L8GZ.2N2
Mapcode Global: WH6K7.TD51
Plus Code: 9C9RFQFX+WR
Entry Name: Walled Garden, Aberlour House
Listing Name: Aberlour House, Walled Garden
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333267
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2354
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Banffshire
Circa 1840 probably William Robertson. Walled garden and
loggia, with subsequent additions including entrance probably
by A and W Reid, 1855-60; further entrance by Sir Robert
Lorimer, 1893. Large, irregularly shaped but roughly
semi-circular rubble walled garden, brick lined on inner
face; tooled ashlar cope; polished ashlar dressings.
Pedimented tetrastyle porticoed roofless loggia (circa.1840)
supported by 4 unfluted Greek Doric columns projects into
garden from E portion of wall, close to recently widened
Long straight W wall divides garden from house policies with
2 arched decorative entrances.
S ENTRANCE: style of A and W Reid, circa 1855-60; pedimented
archway with round-headed monogrammed keystoned arch flanked
by channelled ashlar pilasters. Cast-iron gates with
cast-iron trellis piers.
N ENTRANCE: Sir Robert Lorimer, dated 1893. Tall channelled
rusticated ashlar piers flank round-headed archway. Pineapple
finials with scroll brackets. Carved shell, fruit and flower ornamentation. Inscriptions carved around head of arch on
both faces initialled plaque to right of gateway on outer
face. Pair decorative wrought-iron gates.
Various carved stone plaques and roundels depicting beasts
and flowers set near gates on both faces.
Probably built by Alexander Grant (d.1854); extended by his
niece and heir Miss MacPherson Grant whose initials are
carved on S entrance.
N gate inserted by Sir John Ritchie Findlay whose initials
with those of his wife are inscribed on plaque beside gate.
Bricks for lining probably from former Craigellachie Brick
and Terracotta Works.
The larger portion of the garden now serves as caravan site.
Other nearby listed buildings