This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2224 / 56°13'20"N
Longitude: -2.7681 / 2°46'5"W
OS Eastings: 352469
OS Northings: 703579
OS Grid: NO524035
Mapcode National: GBR 2S.CVDL
Mapcode Global: WH7SL.GV3Q
Plus Code: 9C8V66CJ+XQ
Entry Name: Balcaskie House
Listing Name: Balcaskie House
Listing Date: 1 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333431
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2503
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward
Traditional County: Fife
Original, L-plan house consisting of western 2/3 of south
front and western gable of north front, 3 storeys with
dormerheads, with northern jamb raised to 4; enlarged and
altered by Sir William Bruce 1668-74 for himself; William
Burn additions and alterations 1827, David Bryce alterations
1853. Now essentially Scottish Renaissance house; Bruce
extended L-plan to U with 4 angle pavilions, infilling the
area between the north wings with a 2-storeyed block,
probably having a platform and balustraded roof.
NORTH ELEVATION central section: now 5-bay, 3-storey (upper
storey raised, mid 18th century), flanked by crowstepped
cross wings 3 storeys at east, 4 at west, windows now
regularised, the gable end flush with central bays,
projecting porch (1830-31 Thomas Clark builder) with 18th
century Venetian window above, 3 windows in 2nd floor; outer
advanced pavilions linked by quadrant screens to 5-bay,
2-storey, piended roofed pavilions probably circa 1745.
LONG GARDEN FRONT: 2 storeys and attic irregular
fenestration, cast-iron balcony at first floor (1830-31
Clark) partly obscuring Bruce's pedimented and banded
pilaster doorpiece supporting swags of fruit and a basket;
projecting end pavilions, west with oriel of 1853.
EAST ELEVATION: double gabled out-shot housing service stair
WEST ELEVATION: with corbelled ogee domed turret and stair
tower with conical roof and single bay infilled 1856-58 by
Bryce between outer square pavilions. Steeply pitched slate
roof with crowsteps and dormer heads to garden, shallower
pitch to north.
INTERIOR: Much of Bruce's interior survives including
chequered marble floor in hall. 1st floor 3 Bruce apartments
open off gallery, high relief ceilings by George
Dunsterfield; originally at west Dining Room (now Drawing
Room) Drawing Room (now Library) centre, State Bed-chamber
(now Dining Room) at east; central and eastern room with
painted ceiling panels. Remaining 1st floor apartments circa
1830 with Burn chimneypieces. Stair from entrance hall by
Burn circa 1831, west stair by Bryce. On 2nd floor the Blue
Bedroom and Globe Room with low relief plaster ceilings.
Fine balustraded terrace garden. Numerous garden ornaments,
urns, mercury etc.
The masons working for Bruce were John Hamilton, Alexander
Scott and Archibald Wallace.
Other nearby listed buildings