This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.2894 / 56°17'21"N
Longitude: -3.0557 / 3°3'20"W
OS Eastings: 334750
OS Northings: 711269
OS Grid: NO347112
Mapcode National: GBR 2F.7PH1
Mapcode Global: WH7S8.156T
Entry Name: Crawford Priory
Listing Date: 1 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333512
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2567
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Cupar
Traditional County: Fife
David Hamilton 1809; James Gillespie Graham, 1811-13 for Lady Mary Lindsay Crawford. Restoration and additions William Little 1872. Gothic mansion house. David Hamilton design in manner of Gothic chapel, S elevation central projecting bay flanked by octagonal piers, rising to pinnacles with Romanesque doorway and tiered, multi-light window above rising into gable. Flanked by 4 outer bays with similar terminal piers and pinnacles. Windows linking ground and first floor vertically, with 1st floor level at transom and perpendicular tracery, balustrade and east gable parapet pierced. Circa 1870, 2-storey canted window in east gable end.
To west gable of Hamilton range Gillespie Graham added a linking 2 storey wing and a tall, Gothic castellated, rectangular block, 3 by
5 bays. Octagonal castellated turrets at angles, each bay on long elevation divided by buttresses turning to semi-octagonal at 1st floor and with corbelled castellated caps. West elevation; 3 bay, central bay formerly with window at ground under crocketted ogee arch, converted to door circa 1870 with large projecting Gothic porch and porte cochere, 3-light window above under Tudor hood mould, central bay flanked by drum piers, panelled above 1st floor with castellated caps, corbelled parapet. Triple light Y- tracery windows in outer ground floors bays, triple round arched lights above under 4-centred hood moulds. South
elevation, Y-tracery, pointed arched ground floor windows, paired above in square panels. Corbelled, castellated parapet 1870 substantially enlarged at rear with service court and tower. Chapel on east, semi-octagonal bay with cusped and traceried windows, corbelled parapet and facetted roof with lucarnes.
INTERIOR: Very elaboarate Gothic palaster interiors. Fan vaulted hall and rib vaulted entrance hall main entrance with screen to Hamilton range by Gillespie Graham. Cantilevered oval stair and second oak stair. Fine Gothic panelled doors, elaborate marble chimney pieces. Chapel elaborately painted by Thomas Bonnar, hammer beam roof, 3 two- light stained glass windows. Interior now in advanced state of decay.
This building is architecturally of category A class but its advanced state of decay dictates the present state. Original House, Crawford Lodge, probably built 1758 (See A H Millar, FIFE...);
Copies of drawings for new house, c. 1780 in SNMR Fine 18th century classical chimney piece now removed to Balcarres.
Other nearby listed buildings