This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2769 / 56°16'36"N
Longitude: -3.0566 / 3°3'23"W
OS Eastings: 334674
OS Northings: 709884
OS Grid: NO346098
Mapcode National: GBR 2F.8H8C
Mapcode Global: WH7S8.0HSD
Plus Code: 9C8R7WGV+Q9
Entry Name: Gate Piers And Churchyard Walls, Session House, Cults Parish Church
Listing Name: Cults Church, Cemetery Walls Gatepiers and Sessionhouse
Listing Date: 1 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333523
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2577
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Cupar
Traditional County: Fife
South elevation: two large and altered round-headed windows (one with 1957 leaded glass panel) to inner bays. Doors and gallery windows to outer bays.
North elevation has a single central window and a window at each level in outer bays.
Doors are studded, with decorative hinges. Straight skews and slate roof.
Interior: partly altered 1835, 18th century panelled, octagonal pulpit with pilastered and pedimented rear screen. Panelled timber box pews. Doors have decorative iron latches. Gallery on three walls supported on wooden columns, panelled front, with clock (presented 1843). Pulpit flanked by wall-mounted marble monuments. That to the left is of Sir David Wilkie RA by Samuel Joseph in 1844. That to the right is of Rev David Wilkie (father of above) and his wife Isabella Lister, by Sir Francis Chantrey RA in 1833.
Rubble-built cemetery walls enclose some interesting 17th, 18th, and 19th century tombstones.
Square gatepiers and an early 19th century, rubble-built session house at the west entrance to the churchyard. The session house has a door below a lamp bracket in the south gable, a single window in the west wall with spun glass panels. Single chimneystack and pantile roof.
Part of B Group with manse (see separate listing, LB2576) and dovecote (see separate listing (LB2575). Ecclesiastical building in use.
Cults Church has not been significantly altered since the mid-19th century and retains its late 18th century plan form, distinctive stonework features and much of its interior fixtures and fittings.
Sir David Wilkie RA (1785 -1841) was an early 19th century painter. He was an associate of the Royal Academy and Principal Painter in Ordinary to King William IV and Queen Victoria. Wilkie commissioned the monument to his parents. His father was the minister at the time the church was rebuilt. David's sister commissioned the monument to him.
A scheme proposing the insertion of Gothic windows (1873) was not carried out (copies of drawings in National Record of the Historic Environment).
Listed building record updated in 2019 to include further information about Sir David Wilkie and the wall-mounted monuments.
Other nearby listed buildings