This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3317 / 56°19'54"N
Longitude: -3.2222 / 3°13'20"W
OS Eastings: 324523
OS Northings: 716153
OS Grid: NO245161
Mapcode National: GBR 27.521C
Mapcode Global: WH6QV.G3TV
Entry Name: Halton Hill Steading
Listing Date: 22 October 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333537
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2591
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
Late 18th century. Small single storey, rectangular-plan courtyard steading with further remote range to NW and SW. Entrance via door to NW and linked taller range to SE (semi-derelict). Random whinstone rubble with droved ashlar quoins; dressed ashlar piers. Elliptical-arched openings and voussoirs. Outer corners of courtyard buildings rounded. Courtyard:
COURTYARD ELEVATION: 3-bay shelter sheds with dividing stone piers to SE (3-bay with taller rubble bay to outer left), SW (5-bay) and NW (5-bay). Full width flagstone-topped rubble feeding ledge to outer wall of NW range. Rear of cottages to NE.
NE ELEVATION: cottage with part-glazed timber door to right of centre and window in bay to left, further window to left and panelled timber door to outer left. Access to courtyard beyond to left.
NW ELEVATION: wide boarded timber door to left of centre, 5 small leaded windows in former feed hatches to right (that to outer right fallen to ground).
SW ELEVATION: wide opening with boarded timber door off-centre left, and evidence of former opening (door?) beyond to left.
Small-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, and diamond pattern leaded casement windows. Grey slates to NW, NE, SE and corrugated asbestos to SW. Coped ashlar stack and thackstanes.
NW ELEVATION: cottage (converted cart-shed) with part-glazed timber door and plate glass fanlight at centre, windows in flanking bays, further window to outer left and small opening to outerright. Further range with 3 windows adjoining to outer left.
SE ELEVATION: 4 cart arches (blocked) to left of centre (cottage). Adjoining range to right with door to left and full-height sliding door to outer right (both boarded timber). 10- and 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows with 6-pane upper over plate glass lower glazing to elliptical-arched openings. Corrugated asbestos to E; modern tiles to cottage only. Coped ashlar stacks.
SW RANGE: straw barn(?).
SE ELEVATION: wide door with double lintel to right of centre and blinded hayloft opening off-centre left above; cottage abutting to outer right.
NW ELEVATION: full-height sliding 2-leaf timber door. Piended, corrugated asbestos roof.
Situated on the Pitcairlie Road which runs from Auchtermuchty to Newburgh, Halton (or Hatton) Hill Steading may have been a coaching inn. The road designated in the 1797 Turnpike Act, was not completed until 1813. Andrew Aytoun was granted charter of the lands in 1617 and probably built part of Halton Hill farmhouse (listed separately) soon after. Upgraded C(S) to B.