This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.355 / 56°21'17"N
Longitude: -2.9452 / 2°56'42"W
OS Eastings: 341691
OS Northings: 718471
OS Grid: NO416184
Mapcode National: GBR 2K.3J9V
Mapcode Global: WH7RX.QJRK
Plus Code: 9C8V9333+XW
Entry Name: Fountain, Pittormie
Listing Name: Pittormie House Garden Wall Fountain to South and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 1 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333540
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2593
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Cupar
Traditional County: Fife
Original house 1764 with extensive baronial additions and alterations, 1867, John Milne of St Andres, architect. East elevation incorporates original 3-storey, 4-bay house, central 2 bays advanced, with crow-stepped gables and original doorpiece with blocked architrave, keystoned and dated pediment. Conical-roofed angle turrets added to outer-bays, corbelled at 2nd floor and in northern re-entrant angle; right bay raised and gabled, left bay with pedimented dormer. All gables crow-stepped; panelled and corniced apex stacks; slated roofs with finials. Single storey ranges form U-plan courtyard; these also altered by Milne, and dated 1867 (possible malt kiln set against north wall of north range). Tall, 4 storey square tower added to north west, with
circular stair tower rising through corbelled and crenellated parapet. A symmetrical south elevati on to 2-storey west wing, irregular fenestration, including 2-storey canted window at west with tall faceted roof. Various modern additions and modifications. 1867 extensive 1 and storey additions to south.
INTERIORr: some original 18th century panelling, simple plasterwork and twisted cast-iron stair balusters. 1867 extensions have some wooden panelling, some chimney pieces and door furniture reputedly from Old Dunnikeir House (information from owner). Later 19th century fountain to south, heavily overgrown with ivy. Quatrefoil ashlar basin with moulded coping: terra cotta fountain on rubble plinth has 6 lion mask spouts, and capped centrally by 3 partially robed figures, supporting basin. Rubble-built garden wall is stepped with ashlar coping and
band course: single round, ashlar angle turret on splayed rock-faced plinth, with corbelled parapet, at south east corner, probably John Milne architect. Corniced, square rusticated ashlar gatepiers also probably 1764; wrought-iron gates with concave upper rail.
Initials 'RM' on datestone are for Robert Meldrum. Some alterations circa 1905, by Williamson, of Williamson & Hubbard, architects, Kirkcaldy. Proposed alterations by Peddie & Kinnear, 1918 (information