History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Carslogie House & Garden Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Cupar, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.317 / 56°19'1"N

Longitude: -3.0487 / 3°2'55"W

OS Eastings: 335229

OS Northings: 714339

OS Grid: NO352143

Mapcode National: GBR 2F.5YX7

Mapcode Global: WH7S2.4HH5

Entry Name: Carslogie House & Garden Walls

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333581

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2622

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cupar

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Cupar

Parish: Cupar

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kilmaron

Description

Fragmentary, ruinous and roofless late 16th/17th century house, altered, with most windows enlarged, in 18th century; incorporated in north wall of large, rectangular garden enclosure. Originally 4 storeys, but only north and west walls and west corner of south wall survive to 1st floor

level (latter also with single 2nd floor window jamb), while remainder of south wall and all east wall now a rubble pile. Coursed squared rubble, with ashlar dressings. Original off-centre door in north wall with inserted door to left leading to 18th century stone stair; slit opening to right; 3 windows above (1 blocked) and single gun loop. Single 1st floor window in west wall & in surviving fragment of south

wall.

INTERIOR: vaulted at ground floor; 4 chambers, in pairs, flanking central passage. Garden walls are rubble-built.

Statement of Interest

Scheduled Monument.

Carslogie was the property of the Clephane family from at least the 12th century; the house was abandoned by George Clephane before 1790 and sold in 1808, although occupied till later in century, and used latterly as a store: re-roofed 1854, top floor removed 1893. Pedimented dormer head incorporated in garden walls dated 1590 and bearing initials of George Clephane and J Katherine Orm his wife may date house, and a lintel (now built into nearby cartshed dated 1710 and bearing initials of David

Clephane & of his wife Joanna Colville, suggests some alteration work then.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.