History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hill of Tarvit House, Terraced Garden, Walled Garden

A Category A Listed Building in Cupar, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2952 / 56°17'42"N

Longitude: -3.0053 / 3°0'19"W

OS Eastings: 337878

OS Northings: 711876

OS Grid: NO378118

Mapcode National: GBR 2H.78T0

Mapcode Global: WH7S8.T13B

Entry Name: Hill of Tarvit House, Terraced Garden, Walled Garden

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333588

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2628

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cupar

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Cupar

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Craigrothie

Description

Sir Robert Lorimer 1905-7 substantial remodelling of 1696 house (possibly by Sir William Bruce). Lorimer wrapped a classically designed range round the side and front elevations of the Bruce house, incorporating the Victorian rear wings for service blocks, the whole harled with ashlar chanelled dressings. Entrance elevation (west)

2 storeys with projecting single storey smoking room wing to north, canted bay to drawing room at south, arcaded loggia forming porch. GARDEN FRONT: 5 bays flanked by projecting wings bowed to the south; long sash windows to ground, sundial and shell niche with figure above central window. Multi-pane sashes, hipped slate roofs.

INTERIOR: hall: 1906 on lintel to chimney piece, panelled with coffered ceiling in Baronial manner; drawing room: French 18th century detail to plaster decoration and woodwork; dining room; late 17th century ceiling and pilaster details; room: incorporates chimney piece dated 1627; stair

hall: stairs with bold twisted balusters and melon caps to newels. Detailing to 1st floor rooms simpler. Terraced garden with wide balustraded steps leading to lowest level. Walled garden to north with gatepiers topped by swagged urns by Sir Robert Lorimer and wrought iron gates by Thomas Hadden in north wall.

Statement of Interest

Formerly known as Wemyss Hall. Remodelled for F B Sharp. Interior designed in specific period styles to suit Mr Sharp's collection. In the possession of the National Trust for Scotland.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.