History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Logie House Hotel

A Category B Listed Building in Chapel Of Garioch, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.3223 / 57°19'20"N

Longitude: -2.4913 / 2°29'28"W

OS Eastings: 370508

OS Northings: 825859

OS Grid: NJ705258

Mapcode National: GBR N96C.HDW

Mapcode Global: WH8NM.P6VZ

Entry Name: Logie House Hotel

Listing Date: 16 April 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333830

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2857

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Chapel Of Garioch

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: West Garioch

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Oyne

Description

Originally 1680 for James Elphinstone 3-storey with

circular angle tower (contained stair now gutted) 4-window

(originally 5?) E. elevation to court; circa 1740 2-storey N.

side of court added, irregular fenestration to N. with

buttressed 1-window bay of slight projection. Circa 1760

original block extended S., 2-storeys in height of original

3 with 3-window S. bow, 2-storey S.E. wing with 4-window S.

elevation added slightly later; circa 1770-80 2-storey piend

roofed drawing room wing added at S.W., fine rococo ceiling,

canted bay appears to be slightly later addition; circa 1785

matching N.W. dining room wing added, with 1-window

pedimented and quoined section between containing entrance

hall and staircase forming symmetrical W. front. Staircase

very plain, lit by ogee-capped lantern light, good ceiling

of late Adam type in dining room applied from moulds and

perhaps a few years later than the room itself. Diagonally

set square piend-roofed game larders flanking gate circa

1800, but chamfered archway of gate itself probably original

1680 work. Cross-corridor in court and poor stuccoed porch at

W. front unfortunate Victorian additions. Harled with margins throughout, coped chimneys, woodwork almost entirely 18th

century except in N. wing.

Statement of Interest

Unusually complex building history. The plasterwork is among

the best of its date in Aberdeenshire; the drawing room

ceiling may be compared with the recently destroyed Odd-

fellows' Hall in Queen Street Aberdeen. The estate was known

as Logie Elphinstone until 1903 when it was sold to Col.

George Milne.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.