This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6384 / 57°38'18"N
Longitude: -2.5373 / 2°32'14"W
OS Eastings: 368020
OS Northings: 861067
OS Grid: NJ680610
Mapcode National: GBR N83J.LCK
Mapcode Global: WH8M2.081N
Plus Code: 9C9VJFQ7+93
Entry Name: Bridge Of Alvah
Listing Name: Bridge of Alvah
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333856
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2883
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
1768; built 1771-3, designed by Duke of Fife, possibly with Thomas Reid, and James Robertson, mason. Single span, segmentally arched bridge over gorge of River Deveron, incorporating small room in W abutment. Sneck-harled, random rubble with ashlar coped parapet; splayed at abutments. Mural room with pointed arched openings; doorway to N, window to S, pointed barrel-vault and fireplace to interior.
Part of the picturesque landscape at Duff House, The Bridge of Alvah was begun in 1771. Although Thomas White drew up a landscape design for Duff House, it is possible that Thomas Reid, landscape gardener from Banff, may have been involved with the design; he had the nursery at Colleonard to the W, and was working at Duff at the time, building the bridge at Bauchlaw in 1770. Letters in the Montcoffer Papers, currently being re-catalogued by Aberdeen University Library, ask the
Earl of Fife for additional directions about the room in the bridge
which, according to local tradition was built for the Earl to entertain local girls. Rails were put on the bridge in 1773; they do not appear on Cordiner's gouache of 1795, but are shown on Purser's drawing. The Gothick summerhouse on the hill to the NW of the Bridge is now Craig Cottage, listed separately. Other items in this important landscape; the Fishing Temple and the Temple of Doune by William Adam, the Mausoleum and Craig Cottage are listed separately in Alvah Parish and Banff and Macduff Burghs.
Other nearby listed buildings