This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9499 / 55°56'59"N
Longitude: -3.1932 / 3°11'35"W
OS Eastings: 325586
OS Northings: 673629
OS Grid: NT255736
Mapcode National: GBR 8NG.PM
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.XQM2
Plus Code: 9C7RWRX4+XP
Entry Name: 12 Bank Street, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 12-16 (Inclusive Nos) Bank Street
Listing Date: 12 December 1974
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333979
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3006
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1810, with later alterations and additions, 1898. 5-storey and attic corner tenement with shops to ground floor; 5 bays to Bank Street, later canted corner bay with bowed shop to ground floor and 4-storey canted 4-light oriel above (see Notes); 3 bays to North Bank Street. Ashlar (painted to ground). Cill courses at 1st and 3rd floors; dividing band between 1st and 2nd floors.
E (BANK STREET) ELEVATION: bays grouped 4:1; timber panelled storm doors to shops; blind windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors in 2nd bay from left; timber panelled door with small-pane fanlight in corniced and pilastered doorpiece to outer right.
BOWED CORNER: bowed glass to shop; pilaster strips, channelled to 1st floor; shaped parapet to oriel; tripartite window above; parapet to roofline, balustered to centre.
N (NORTH BANK STREET ELEVATION): regularly fenestrated; large slate-hung timber pedimented dormers (1898) to attic.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows; some 12-pane glazing. Grey slates. Broad brick stack to outer left, cement-rendered wallhead stack to right at Bank Street; corniced ashlar wallhead stack to left at North Bank Street, all with circular cans.
The Dean of Guild Plans (for Edinburgh Corporation Tramways) show the corner cut off this plain tenement, and the addition of the bowed shop and oriel, in order to ease traffic flow on the Mound. A blue plaque on the E wall indicates the birthplace of Sir Robert Philip, pioneer of the fight against tuberculosis.
Other nearby listed buildings