This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4885 / 57°29'18"N
Longitude: -2.8515 / 2°51'5"W
OS Eastings: 349053
OS Northings: 844568
OS Grid: NJ490445
Mapcode National: GBR M8BX.SKQ
Mapcode Global: WH7LK.51FL
Entry Name: Cairnie, Kirkton House and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Last Amended: 5 April 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333989
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3014
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Huntly, Strathbogie and Howe of Alford
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1784-5 (see Notes). 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, symmetrical Classical former manse situated on elevated ground with later 19th century 2-storey extension to rear (N). Squared and coursed dark whinstone with contrasting sandstone margins and raised long and short quoins, harl to rear. Moulded architraves, corniced to ground floor windows; eaves cornice and low blocking course. Slightly advanced central pedimented bay to S (principal) elevation with simple corniced Doric-pilastered doorpiece with 4-panel 2-leaf entrance door with rectangular fanlight above. Pair of later, timber pedimented dormers.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Some 12-pane lying pane timber sash and case windows to E elevation. Grey slate. Raised skews and skew putts. Coped gable stacks.
INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Some original features including 4-panel timber doors, decorative plaster cornicing and working shutters.
WALLED GARDEN (to S): walls to S and E only remain from original rectangular-plan structure. Rubble with some coping to E.
This fine, early example of a (former) Church of Scotland manse is prominently sited on elevated ground a short distance from Cairnie Parish Church (see separate listing). The carefully proportioned principle elevation survives near-intact and is particularly notable for its distinctive use of whinstone with contrasting pale sandstone margins and quoins. The restrained classical decoration in features such as the pedimented central bay and architraved windows are of some quality. The site has an earlier religious history with the remains of the probably 16th century St Martin's Church, now incorporated into a burial enclosure in the associated churchyard (see separate listing).
The local Parish Records suggest that the manse was built in 1784-5 by the then minister, Mr Chalmers, who was married to the sister of the Duke of Gordon, the local landowners.
Situated to the South-East of the walled garden and adjacent to it are the remains of a rectangular-plan cobbled floor with flagstones at the centre of West end. This structure is possibly of medieval origin although the original purpose is currently (2007) unknown.
Other nearby listed buildings