History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cairnie, Kirkton House and Walled Garden

A Category B Listed Building in Cairnie, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4885 / 57°29'18"N

Longitude: -2.8515 / 2°51'5"W

OS Eastings: 349053

OS Northings: 844568

OS Grid: NJ490445

Mapcode National: GBR M8BX.SKQ

Mapcode Global: WH7LK.51FL

Entry Name: Cairnie, Kirkton House and Walled Garden

Listing Date: 24 November 1972

Last Amended: 5 April 2007

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333989

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3014

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cairnie

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Huntly, Strathbogie and Howe of Alford

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Huntly

Description

1784-5 (see Notes). 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, symmetrical Classical former manse situated on elevated ground with later 19th century 2-storey extension to rear (N). Squared and coursed dark whinstone with contrasting sandstone margins and raised long and short quoins, harl to rear. Moulded architraves, corniced to ground floor windows; eaves cornice and low blocking course. Slightly advanced central pedimented bay to S (principal) elevation with simple corniced Doric-pilastered doorpiece with 4-panel 2-leaf entrance door with rectangular fanlight above. Pair of later, timber pedimented dormers.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Some 12-pane lying pane timber sash and case windows to E elevation. Grey slate. Raised skews and skew putts. Coped gable stacks.

INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Some original features including 4-panel timber doors, decorative plaster cornicing and working shutters.

WALLED GARDEN (to S): walls to S and E only remain from original rectangular-plan structure. Rubble with some coping to E.

Statement of Interest

This fine, early example of a (former) Church of Scotland manse is prominently sited on elevated ground a short distance from Cairnie Parish Church (see separate listing). The carefully proportioned principle elevation survives near-intact and is particularly notable for its distinctive use of whinstone with contrasting pale sandstone margins and quoins. The restrained classical decoration in features such as the pedimented central bay and architraved windows are of some quality. The site has an earlier religious history with the remains of the probably 16th century St Martin's Church, now incorporated into a burial enclosure in the associated churchyard (see separate listing).

The local Parish Records suggest that the manse was built in 1784-5 by the then minister, Mr Chalmers, who was married to the sister of the Duke of Gordon, the local landowners.

Situated to the South-East of the walled garden and adjacent to it are the remains of a rectangular-plan cobbled floor with flagstones at the centre of West end. This structure is possibly of medieval origin although the original purpose is currently (2007) unknown.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.