This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6351 / 57°38'6"N
Longitude: -2.5778 / 2°34'40"W
OS Eastings: 365598
OS Northings: 860714
OS Grid: NJ655607
Mapcode National: GBR M8ZJ.ZS8
Mapcode Global: WH8M1.CCQ7
Plus Code: 9C9VJCPC+2V
Entry Name: Inchdrewer Castle
Listing Name: Inchdrewer Castle
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334027
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3049
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
Circa 1500 with alterations and additions in later 16th century; late 18th century wing; restored 1971. Compact 3-storey L-plan tower house on commanding site. Rubble with tooled ashlar dressings. Round-headed doorway in S elevation and similar, but narrow, door way in W re-entrant angle below squinch supporting angle stair tower. These doorways supersede blocked narrow 1st floor entrance flanking stair turret in W re-entrant. Circular stair turret at E rising to corbelled crenellated wallhead, 3 small angle turrets rising from 1st floor or 2nd floor level, that at W supported by squinch. Plain 2-storey, 2-bay gabled wing projects at E. Long 1st floor window in S elevation lights hall. Remaining fenestration (except in 18th century wing) small and irregular with renewed timber multi-pane glazing. Enlarged single window in W gable and 2 similar in N elevation, all of circa 1971 plate glass glazing and lighting former 1st floor hall. Ruinous rubble walls advance from S elevation, flanking former courtyard at E accommodating former kitchen with mural slop sink. Principal entrance probably opened from S courtyard, flanked by round-headed towers, of which vestiges survive. Small round-headed postern gate in W of barmkin wall, with draw-bar hole and draw-bar, entrance protected by diminutive gun loop.
Inchdrewer was purchased by Sir Walter Ogilvie of Dunlugas (or his son, Sir George) in 1557 from the Curror family. A successor, Lord Banff, lived there in 1642 until killed by a fire in the castle in 1713. It was still lived in by 1836. Undated proposals by the architect Oliver Hill exist in the RIBA Drawings Collection. In 1971 Inchdrewer Castle was purchased and partially restored by Robin Mirrlees de la Lanne; a plaque, dated 1971, records this restoration together with the names of J Lamb, architect and A Walker, builder. Inchdrewer Castle stands on a rise with commanding views over Banff Bay and the surrounding countryside.