This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0256 / 57°1'32"N
Longitude: -2.6235 / 2°37'24"W
OS Eastings: 362244
OS Northings: 792892
OS Grid: NO622928
Mapcode National: GBR WY.CD8Y
Mapcode Global: WH8PX.NNWZ
Plus Code: 9C9V29GG+6H
Entry Name: Tillyfruskie
Listing Name: Tillyfruskie Farmhouse, Including Gates, Courtyard Wall, Boundary Walls, Ancillary Structure, Loupin'-On Stane and Cheese Press
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334037
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3056
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dated 1733; 20th century alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan small laird's house, with courtyard adjoining to E. Harled with chamfered granite reveals. Base course.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; panelled timber door to centre of ground floor, with letterbox fanlight; window to each flanking bay; regular fenestration to 1st floor. Courtyard wall extends from outer right (see below). Single storey addition advanced to outer left, door and 3 irregularly placed windows to right return, lamp to right corner.
N ELEVATION: gabled; small infilled opening to left of gablehead; modern electricity meter box to ground floor. Courtyard wall adjoining to left (see below).
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; small vertical opening near-centre of ground floor, irregular fenestration to ground and 1st floors. Single storey addition adjoining to outer right, with square-plan engaged tower to angle.
S ELEVATION: gabled; infilled opening with metal ventilators to left of gablehead; ground floor obscured by adjoining single storey addition, 3 windows to right, flanked to left by modern glazed door, tower to left angle with bipartite window, window to left and right returns, pyramidal roof with weather-vane finial.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows, timber windows with top hoppers to rear. Graded grey slate roof with stone ridge. Stone skews with decorative skewputts, that to NE dated "1733", SE tooled "DO ??" (David Ochterlouny). Harled corniced gablehead stacks; ridge stack with octagonal can to single storey addition. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: refurbished, late 20th century, retaining some 19th century detailing.
GATES, GATEPIERS, COUTYARD WALL, BOUNDARY WALLS, CHEESE PRESS AND LOUPIN'-ON STANE: rubble coped harled courtyard wall adjoining house to E, stepped down to E; square-plan corniced gatepiers to N, with spherical finials; decorative ironwork 2-leaf gate. Pink granite cheese press against rubble wall to SE. 4-step granite rubble mounting platform to N of house. Granite rubble walls adjoining house to S.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, harled rubble steading to NE of house, finely finished granite dressings; gabled large round-arched opening to centre, with bull's-eye set in gablehead and spherical finial, windows flanking to left and right, boarded timber doors to outer left and right; corrugated door to right return; rubble elevation to left return with small boarded timber opening set in gablehead. Modern building adjoining to rear. Corrugated roof; cast-iron rainwater goods.
The Tillyfruskie estate (then Tillyfroskie) was owned by the Strachans in the 16th century, by 1696 the estate belonged to James Ochterlouny, and was worth 250 Scots Pounds. James was followed by his son Peter Ochterlouny, who built the present house and carved his initials and those of his wife, along with the date (1733) on the skewputts. Between 1755 and 1770 the estate was passed to the Farquharsons of Finzean. Tillyfruskie survives almost completely intact, with only the loss of the walled garden. The design and layout should be compared with Shiels in Midmar Parish, which is a larger T-plan version. It has lost (or perhaps never had) its courtyard, but retains its walled garden and is more completely preserved inside.