This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0593 / 57°3'33"N
Longitude: -2.7072 / 2°42'25"W
OS Eastings: 357206
OS Northings: 796692
OS Grid: NO572966
Mapcode National: GBR WT.9CZ5
Mapcode Global: WH7NK.DT3N
Plus Code: 9C9V375V+P4
Entry Name: Allancreich
Listing Name: Allancreich Farmhouse, Including Cheese Press
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334073
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3093
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1840. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with later additions and alterations. Coursed tooled granite rubble with long and short dressings. Base course; projecting cills; consoled canopies to ground floor openings; crowstepped gables.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; glazed panelled timber door to centre of ground floor, with letterbox fanlight; window to each flanking bay. Modern skylight to centre of attic floor, flanked to left and right by flat-roofed timber box dormer.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled; window off-centre to right of ground floor, window off-centre to left of gablehead. Modern 2-bay harled addition adjoining to outer right.
NE ELEVATION: predominantly obscured by modern harled addition advanced to left, with lean-to entrance bay. Cheese press to right at ground floor.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled; window off-centre to right of gablehead.
Variety of timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof with tiled ridge. Stone skews with corniced skewputts. Corniced granite gablehead stacks with circular cans. PVCu rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
According to the 3rd Statistical Account "the farm now called Allancreich was a posting place in the days of the stage coach and the buildings have still numerous stalls for stabling" (p419-420), which perhaps explains why the detail on this building is rather grander than many of the other estate buildings. The steadings have been altered, however the house survives largely intact. According to Callander, Allancreich was also an ale house. The Ballogie Estate was, in 1650, called Tillysnaught, and belonged to the Roses of Kilravock. It then passed to the Forbes family, followed by the Innes family and their relatives the Farquharsons. When the Innes family of Ballogie and Balnacraig died out the Farquharsons took on their name, becoming Farquharson-Innes. Lewis Farqhuarson-Innes was responsible for the building of the Home Farm, and the "ornamented entrance and a clock in front" (Dinnie, p95). In 1850 the estate was sold to Mr James Dyce Nicol, a former MP for Kincardineshire. He was described as "a progressive landowner, spending large sums of money on his properties".
Other nearby listed buildings