This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0034 / 57°0'12"N
Longitude: -2.7926 / 2°47'33"W
OS Eastings: 351952
OS Northings: 790525
OS Grid: NO519905
Mapcode National: GBR WQ.DZ44
Mapcode Global: WH7NX.27GG
Plus Code: 9C9V2634+8X
Entry Name: Kennels, Birse Castle
Listing Name: Forest of Birse, Birse Castle Kennels
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334079
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3098
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
George Bennett Mitchell, 1905. Single storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan kennels with run to S. Pink granite rubble with long and short dressings. Crowstepped gables.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4 boarded timber doors to 4 bays to left, rubble wall with modern railings enclosing 3 dog runs; iron gate, granite post and drinking bowl to each. Circular tower to angle to outer right with single window, conical roof with lead spherical finial.
E ELEVATION: gabled; blank with tower to left angle (see above).
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay advanced to right with window to centre; window to bay to left; 3 irregularly placed skylights to roof.
W ELEVATION: gabled; blank, with wall of run extending to right.
Predominantly 8-pane timber windows. Graded grey slate roof with tiled ridge. Coped wallhead stack to N with circular can. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: some alteration but largely intact. Walls of run lined with cement.
B-Group with Birse Castle (see separate listing). The Forest of Birse was originally Royal hunting forest. Sir William Gordon of Cluny fued the forest from the Bishop of Aberdeen in 1585 and built the original castle; in 1636 it passed to Sir William Douglas of Glenbervie, then in 1666 to the Earl of Aboyne. The original castle is thought to have been The original castle was thought to have been "a plain keep in plan, with the addition of a round tower at one angle only" (M & R, p49), however its condition in 1892 was "a fragmentary ruin" (M & R, p49), and remained as such until it was restored by George Bennett Mitchell for J R Heaven, then Dr William Kelly for Annie, Lady Cowdray. George Bennett Mitchell built the kennels at the same time as he restored the castle.