This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8782 / 54°52'41"N
Longitude: -4.2113 / 4°12'40"W
OS Eastings: 258225
OS Northings: 555951
OS Grid: NX582559
Mapcode National: GBR HHZT.7PW
Mapcode Global: WH4W2.8NW6
Entry Name: Anwoth Parish Church, (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 4 November 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334307
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3296
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Dee and Glenkens
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Walter Newall, architect; built 1826-7; contractors William
Robertson, John Robertson, Andrew Mackie. Plain Neo-gothic
hall church with square tower to W gable. Rubble walling with
polished red sandstone angle and window margins.
3-bay with hood-moulded Tudor-arch windows, timber mullions,
small lying-pane glazing. Single storey vestry to E gable of
later 19th-century date, similar materials. Polished
sandstone eaves band, blocking course, skews, skewputts,
slate roofs. Tower in 3 stages with string courses between
stages. 2 pointed arched doorways to ground, one blocked.
Painted arched similar bipartite blind windows to 2nd,
tripartite louvered openings to 3rd, embattled parapet with
Later 19th century interior, gallery to W. Timber lined coved
ceiling. Good rubble and sandstone coped boundary walls,
bull-faced granite gatepiers.
Other nearby listed buildings