History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Buittle Parish Church, (Church of Scotland) and Walled Churchyard

A Category B Listed Building in Castle Douglas and Crocketford, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9194 / 54°55'9"N

Longitude: -3.8612 / 3°51'40"W

OS Eastings: 280801

OS Northings: 559890

OS Grid: NX808598

Mapcode National: GBR 1CGK.V9

Mapcode Global: WH4W1.NMJ1

Entry Name: Buittle Parish Church, (Church of Scotland) and Walled Churchyard

Listing Date: 4 November 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334388

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3366

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Buittle

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
Dalbeattie

Description

Walter Newall architect; John Graham of Castle Douglas site
architect and contractor 1819. Buttressed Gothic hall church
with tower to N gable. Gabled extension to S to give chancel
and vestry built 1902, James Barbour, architect.
Harled granite walling with red sandstone dressings and
buttresses, stepped at angles. All openings pointed arch with
simple chamfered margins and hoodmoulds. Main elevation to N
with projecting 3-stage tower. 4-centred arched door with
moulded reveals. 2nd stage with cusped Y-tracery lancets to
each face; single louvred openings to 3rd stage. Crenellated
parapet with angle pinnacles.
3-bay buttressed nave, windows with timber tracery (American
redwood) and leaded diamond panes. Red sandstone string
course to cills and eaves. Asymmetrical gabled extension to S
with large triple lancet windows. Slate roofs.
INTERIOR: porch at base of tower opens into aisleless nave.
Seating plan dates from 1902. Raised dais at chancel with
octagonal pulpit. 3-light stained glass chancel window by
Douglas Strachan, war memorial of 1920. Elaborate coffered
ceiling to nave with good plaster cornices; ribbed ceiling to
chancel.
Rubble walled church yard with sandstone coping, pair of
coped rubble gatepiers; cast-iron gate. Churchyard with many
17th century stones. Monuments within walls of ruined Old
Church (see separate item).

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Estimated cost of

building 1817 - $1000. Part of B group with Buittle Old

Church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.