History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Laurieston Hall

A Category B Listed Building in Dee and Glenkens, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9685 / 54°58'6"N

Longitude: -4.0698 / 4°4'11"W

OS Eastings: 267598

OS Northings: 565722

OS Grid: NX675657

Mapcode National: GBR 4Z.Y59D

Mapcode Global: WH4VR.GC7Y

Entry Name: Laurieston Hall

Listing Date: 4 November 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334467

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3418

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Balmaghie

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Dee and Glenkens

Parish: Balmaghie

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
Laurieston

Description

Large rambling country house of several building periods from

17th-early 20th centuries. Asymmetrical grouping of wings,

the largest and most important to S and E in Edwardian

Renaissance style.

TO N 5-STOREY SQUARE TOWER: lower 3-storeys probably of early 17th-century origin, built up and given decorative 'baronial'

roofline in 1893 by Sydney Mitchell and Wilson, architects.

Harled walling, all openings have 19th century sandstone

margins. Sympathetic rebuilding in 1893 with polished

sandstone corbelled angle rounds with conical roofs. To SE

angle square plan ogee roofed caphouse gives access to small

wall walk with decorative balustrade; weathervane dated 1893.

String course at 4th and 5th floor cills stepped down around

some windows. Slate roofs, tall sandstone wallhead stack to W

with deep cornice.

EARLY 20TH CENTURY WINGS TO S AND E: square-plan Edwardian

Renaissance block, 2 storeys with attic. Harled walling giant

order Ionic angle pilasters, polished sandstone basecourses,

polished raised margins, continuous cill bands. Single or

tripartite windows, sash and case with 12-pane glazing

pattern.

E ELEVATION: asymmetrical wide 4-bay entrance front. 2 right

bays advanced; innermost taller with semi-circular pediment

with flanking ball finials, projecting corniced porte cochere

to ground.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bay garden front with tripartites

to outer bays. Venetian window with French doors to centre, 3

single light windows at 1st. Deep timber - mutuled eaves,

steep pitch and platform slate roof, projecting dormers.

To S recessed smaller 2-storey 3-bay symmetrical block, all

single windows, details as above. To 1st panel dated 1906 and

inscribed LMH for Huchieson, owner.

To SW mid 19th-century lower single-storey and attic wing in

gothic style. Bowed bays with embattled parapet and

hood-moulded windows flank pointed arch full-height double

doors set in crowstepped gable. This gives appearance of pend

access to courtyard but later building has presumably negated

this function.

INTERIOR: some good plaster cornice and ceiling work. Mostly

panelled doors and shutters. Edwardian neo-jacobean carved

timber chimneypieces to hall.

Statement of Interest

Formerly Woodhall. B Group with Stables.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.