This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.044 / 55°2'38"N
Longitude: -3.3222 / 3°19'20"W
OS Eastings: 315609
OS Northings: 572966
OS Grid: NY156729
Mapcode National: GBR 5B73.JN
Mapcode Global: WH6XZ.YH51
Plus Code: 9C7R2MVH+J4
Entry Name: Hoddom Castle
Listing Name: Hoddom Castle with Fosse Bridge and Driveway Bridge to South
Listing Date: 3 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334634
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3558
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Annandale South
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
Large asymmetrical mansion, nucleus a fine L-plan 16th
century tower house, main (S) courtyard W walls, gateway and
turrets largely 17th century; circa 1826 additions by William
Burn to S and to W of tower largely demolished circa 1970;
extensive neo-Jacobean 1, 2 and 3-storey additions to N and
to W built 1878-1891 (dated throughout), some, at least, by
Wardrop and Anderson circa 1886; additions mainly comprising
open stable court, service ranges to N beyond: now run as a
holiday centre for caravan park; tower is abandoned. Small
driveway bridge to S (above fosse bridge) possibly 17th/18th
TOWER: various alterations particularly at upper level and
to interior; fantastic skyline probably 18th century. 4
storeys with attic and corbelled parapets, jamb corbelled 2
storeys higher with conical roofed bartizans and 19th century
cap-house; parapet encloses slated and crow-stepped-gabled
main roof. Massively thick red ashlar walls, openings mostly roll-moulded: deep raggles and door slappings where later
ranges abutted. Rope-moulded doorway in re-entrant angle;
wide horizontal gunports at ground; some upper floor windows
INTERIOR: vaulted ground floor; spacious turnpike within
jamb (narrower at upper floors); central partition wall at
each level; some mural chambers.
MAIN COURTYARD: (to S and W of tower) W wall with 2-storey
drum turret at either end, that to N 17th century (upper part
rebuilt circa 1975) and vaulted at ground; roll-moulded wide segmental-arched gateway with ball finials and bellcote all
probably 17th century; gateway to S and castellated
Tudor-arched fosse bridge all probably by Burn. All rubble
19TH CENTURY ADDITIONS: mostly stugged red ashlar with
polished dressings; some mullioned windows; corbelled
parapets, raised over gables. Tall gabled bay to N of tower
(with shaped and finialled skews) probably by Burn;
corresponding (1889) bay to N linked by (1889) stable (now a
bar) with cast-iron columned shelter to court: latter walled
at W, 2-storey blocks flanking gate, with dummy
machicolations, also by Burn. Service ranges to N mostly
single storey, in similar style and dated 1891.
DRIVEWAY BRIDGE: short segmental arch over stream; all
rubble-built; widened, probably circa 1826.
Category A for quality of tower.
Additions by Burn for General Sharpe of Hoddom; later work
for Brook of Huddersfield who purchased Hoddom in 1877.
Requisitioned by the military, and since unoccupied.
Other nearby listed buildings