History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hoddom Castle with Fosse Bridge and Driveway Bridge to South

A Category A Listed Building in Cummertrees, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.044 / 55°2'38"N

Longitude: -3.3222 / 3°19'20"W

OS Eastings: 315609

OS Northings: 572966

OS Grid: NY156729

Mapcode National: GBR 5B73.JN

Mapcode Global: WH6XZ.YH51

Entry Name: Hoddom Castle with Fosse Bridge and Driveway Bridge to South

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334634

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3558

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cummertrees

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale South

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Ecclefechan

Description

Large asymmetrical mansion, nucleus a fine L-plan 16th

century tower house, main (S) courtyard W walls, gateway and

turrets largely 17th century; circa 1826 additions by William

Burn to S and to W of tower largely demolished circa 1970;

extensive neo-Jacobean 1, 2 and 3-storey additions to N and

to W built 1878-1891 (dated throughout), some, at least, by

Wardrop and Anderson circa 1886; additions mainly comprising

open stable court, service ranges to N beyond: now run as a

holiday centre for caravan park; tower is abandoned. Small

driveway bridge to S (above fosse bridge) possibly 17th/18th

century.

TOWER: various alterations particularly at upper level and

to interior; fantastic skyline probably 18th century. 4

storeys with attic and corbelled parapets, jamb corbelled 2

storeys higher with conical roofed bartizans and 19th century

cap-house; parapet encloses slated and crow-stepped-gabled

main roof. Massively thick red ashlar walls, openings mostly roll-moulded: deep raggles and door slappings where later

ranges abutted. Rope-moulded doorway in re-entrant angle;

wide horizontal gunports at ground; some upper floor windows

enlarged.

INTERIOR: vaulted ground floor; spacious turnpike within

jamb (narrower at upper floors); central partition wall at

each level; some mural chambers.

MAIN COURTYARD: (to S and W of tower) W wall with 2-storey

drum turret at either end, that to N 17th century (upper part

rebuilt circa 1975) and vaulted at ground; roll-moulded wide segmental-arched gateway with ball finials and bellcote all

probably 17th century; gateway to S and castellated

Tudor-arched fosse bridge all probably by Burn. All rubble

and ashlar.

19TH CENTURY ADDITIONS: mostly stugged red ashlar with

polished dressings; some mullioned windows; corbelled

parapets, raised over gables. Tall gabled bay to N of tower

(with shaped and finialled skews) probably by Burn;

corresponding (1889) bay to N linked by (1889) stable (now a

bar) with cast-iron columned shelter to court: latter walled

at W, 2-storey blocks flanking gate, with dummy

machicolations, also by Burn. Service ranges to N mostly

single storey, in similar style and dated 1891.

DRIVEWAY BRIDGE: short segmental arch over stream; all

rubble-built; widened, probably circa 1826.

Statement of Interest

Category A for quality of tower.

Additions by Burn for General Sharpe of Hoddom; later work

for Brook of Huddersfield who purchased Hoddom in 1877.

Requisitioned by the military, and since unoccupied.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.