This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0825 / 56°4'57"N
Longitude: -3.3043 / 3°18'15"W
OS Eastings: 318925
OS Northings: 688511
OS Grid: NT189885
Mapcode National: GBR 24.NTW4
Mapcode Global: WH6RZ.6CSX
Entry Name: Cullaloe Farmhouse Including Outhouse
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334720
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3601
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
18th century. 3-bay, 2-storey farmhouse with James Gillespie Graham earlier 19th century 5-bay, 2-storey classical garden block attached. Morris Taylor, 1960s 2-bay, 2-storey flanking wings to garden block. Farmhouse and flanking modern wings; rendered, stone surrounds. Garden block; smooth ashlar, base course, mid storey band course, entablature supported by double pilasters with string course surmounted by cornice and squat parapet.
NW (FARMHOUSE) ELEVATION: pair of single storey outshots to left and right linked by modern central flat-roofed extension, further modern flat-roofed extension to re-entrant angle of right outshot. 3 equally spaced windows at 1st floor to original house. Flanking modern wings setback to far left and right, various openings.
SE (GARDEN BLOCK) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Each bay flanked by pair of double height ante-pilasters. Central 3 bays slightly advanced; centred door with flanking windows, further flanking windows to slightly recessed single bays, centred windows to 1st floor set close to entablature. Flanking modern wings; pair of evenly arranged windows to ground and 1st floor. Modern stone terrace running full length of house and wings.
NE ELEVATION: plain gable to farmhouse, plain wall to advanced modern wing, pair of double ante-pilasters to plain wall of garden block.
SW ELEVATION: window to modern extension, farmhouse; inserted modern window at ground, small attic window to far right, plain wall to advanced modern wing, pair of double ante-pilasters to plain wall of garden block.
Modern timber panelled doors to NW, timber 12-pane sash and case windows to farmhouse and garden block elevations. 9-pane timber sash and case windows, (upper row fixed) to garden elevation of flanking modern wings and similar 6-pane window to NW elevation of modern flanking wings. Farmhouse; pitched grey slate roof, coped ashlar skews with beaked skewputts, corniced ashlar gable apex stacks, circular clay cans. Garden block; piended grey slate roof behind squat parapet, 2 corniced ashlar gable apex stacks, circular clay cans.
OUTHOUSE: single storey, single bay rectangular-plan outhouse to SW. Painted random rubble with tooled long and short quoins. Centred door to NE elevation, centred small window close to eaves to NW. Timber boarded door, piended grey slate roof.
Formerly listed as Cullalo Farmhouse. B-group with Cullaloe South Lodge, Cullaloe Temple, Cullaloe Tower and Cullaloe Dry Bridge. The architect James Gillespie Graham was commissioned to design Moray Place, Randolph Crescent and Great Stuart Street in Edinburgh between 1822-1836 by the Earl of Moray, the stone for these developments came from Cullaloe quarry located to the SE of the house (now disused, 2002) which belonged to the Earl. Cullaloe farmhouse was a Moray Estate Farm and it was during Graham's work for the Earl in Edinburgh that this smart and highly executed addition to Cullaloe Farmhouse was made. It is interesting to note that the original 18th century farmhouse was not pulled down, instead a parallel classical block was attached directly onto the south-east elevation. The farmhouse was probably saved as it would have proved too costly to build an entirely new house, instead the elegant 1 room deep facade disguises the simpler building to the rear. Like the Moray developments in Edinburgh the garden elevation was built from Cullaloe stone. The work carried out to Cullaloe farmhouse in the earlier 19th century including the various buildings to the policies (see separate listings) denote the high status which must have been attached to this Moray Farm. In the 1960s the present owner commissioned Morris Taylor to build the flanking flat-roofed wings to the garden elevation.