This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0557 / 56°3'20"N
Longitude: -3.297 / 3°17'49"W
OS Eastings: 319323
OS Northings: 685518
OS Grid: NT193855
Mapcode National: GBR 24.QH85
Mapcode Global: WH6S5.B17Y
Plus Code: 9C8R3P43+75
Entry Name: Aberdour,aberdour Castle Walled Garden with Sundial
Listing Date: 2 May 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334729
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3610
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Parish: Aberdour (Fife)
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1632. Large square-plan walled garden to NE of Aberdour Castle. Random rubble walls with pyramidal coping, wall to NW rebuilt 1890. Doorway to outer wall at upper terrace, moulded stone doorpiece with cornice surmounted by broken ogee pediment with ball, curvy strapwork to tympanum with decorated cartouche, Douglas heart emblem to centre. Central doorway to NE at entrance to church lane; moulded stone doorpiece with heavily moulded cornice, broken pediment with finials, dated 1632 central monogram 'WAM' (William and Anne [Earl and Countess of] Morton) surmounted by carved coronet within pediment, carved star without. Inserted doorway of 1740 at courtyard to SW outer wall with moulded stone surround. Modern openings to SW inner wall set between terrace and courtyard doorways. Modern, rendered, flat roofed store set to angle at SW/SE walls. Blocked openings to former summerhouse set into wall at E corner.
SUNDIAL: early 17th century facet-headed sundial to centre of garden; 8 faced truncated pyramid surmounted by globe resting on late 19th century baluster. Weathered, carved detailing to each face with gnomon, repaired with render in parts.
SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT. A-Group with Aberdour Castle, Aberdour Castle West Gateway, Aberdour Castle Dovecot, Aberdour Castle Sundial. William Douglas became the 6th Earl of Morton in 1606 and resided at Aberdour till his death in 1648. It was during his lifetime that the castle became the principal residence of the Morton's. His forebear the 4th Earl had already made great changes to the castle with a new range and fine gardens to the S in the later 16th century. William continued this work by building a further range to the E and improving the gardens by building the walled garden, the elaborate moulded stone doorpieces highlight the considerable pride and status attached to possessing such a garden. It is most likely that it was originally laid out in a formal fashion, by 1668 it is documented that it was being used as a bowling green. The summerhouse to the S corner was built in 1675 being demolished in 1785. A wooden bridge to the SE connected the walled garden with a kitchen garden that was located to the S of Church lane. The bridge survived till the end of the 19th century, the kitchen garden is no more, being part of a private garden to a nearby house. During World War ll the garden was used as a market garden and piggery. The garden is now lawned with a path and planted borders set close to the walls and is included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland. To the centre of the garden is a tall sundial which was imported in the 1970s probably from Castle Wigg, Wigtonshire (Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland). For further information see Aberdour Castle list description.
Other nearby listed buildings