This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0544 / 56°3'15"N
Longitude: -3.2997 / 3°17'59"W
OS Eastings: 319150
OS Northings: 685376
OS Grid: NT191853
Mapcode National: GBR 24.QGNP
Mapcode Global: WH6S5.82YY
Plus Code: 9C8R3P32+Q4
Entry Name: Aberdour House
Listing Name: Aberdour, Aberdour House
Listing Date: 2 May 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334754
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3636
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Parish: Aberdour (Fife)
Traditional County: Fife
17th century house with early 18th century addition to principal elevation. 7 bays to principal elevation, 8 bays to rear; rectangular plan, advanced central section. Rendered, long and short quoins, moulded eaves course.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Advanced 3-bay section; central Gibbs surround doorpiece; architrave, imposts, keystone, pulvinated frieze, pediment. Flanking window to right and left, 1st floor and attic windows arranged above ground floor openings. 2-bay recessed section to right; 2 windows uniformly spaced to ground and 1st floor: ground floor left and 1st floor right blocked. 2-bay recessed section to left, 2 windows regularly spaced to ground and 1st floor.
NE ELEVATION: 1st floor window to left, attic window above. Date stone '1672? close to eaves.
SE ELEVATION: near symmetrical elevation; 6-bay section with single bay towers to outer bays. 6 regular openings to ground floor; (2nd and 4th bay openings converted to doors), 1st floor windows arranged above ground floor openings. Single central windows to ground and 1st floor of towers, blocked windows to ground and 1st floor of re-entrant angle of towers.
SW ELEVATION: 18th century addition to left: central ground and 1st floor window. Original 17th century house to right: ground floor window to right and left, 1st floor and attic window to right.
Timber panelled and glazed door. Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows with horns, 4-pane attic windows. Splayed catslide dormer windows with grey tiled cheeks, 2 to NW, 1 to NE and SW and 3 (equally spaced) to SE, modern rooflights, modern roof ventilators. Piended roof to 18th century addition, corniced ridge stack to advanced section. 2 ridge stacks to 18th century house, recessed panel to NW face. 2 crow stepped gables to 17th century house with 2 corniced gable apex stacks and 2 equally spaced corniced ridge stacks. Circular clay cans throughout. Piended slate roofs to rear towers.
INTERIOR: no original features remaining, modernised early 1990s.
NOTES: B-Group with Aberdour House Entrance Gateway and Aberdour House Obelisk, Cuttlehill. Aberdour House was originally known as Cuttlehill House, the original house to the rear dates from the 17th century, the easterly wing has a date lintel of 1672, however the house is thought to date from slightly earlier than this. In 1715 the house was enlarged and reconditioned by its owner the Earl of Moray. Cuttlehill estate was acquired by the 11th Earl of Morton in 1725. The Mortons who had resided at the neighbouring Aberdour Castle (see separate listing) had decided to give up their residence after it was partly gutted by fire in favour of Cuttlehill House, it was at this juncture that the house was renamed Aberdour House. In 1731 the 12th Earl of Morton consulted James Gibbs about remodelling the house, but only the pedimented doorpiece resulted from this exchange (Gifford). The house fell into disrepair in the late 20th century and was redeveloped in the early 1990s, the single storey kitchen wing was demolished to the NE of the House. The gardens around the house were cleared and Aberdour House sundial which stood on the lawn to S of the house (see separate listing) was removed and re-erected on the terrace at Aberdour Castle. A small housing development was built to the SW and NE of the house, the lawn to the SE of the house has remained. The house itself was divided into 3 flats.
Other nearby listed buildings