This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0544 / 56°3'15"N
Longitude: -3.3013 / 3°18'4"W
OS Eastings: 319050
OS Northings: 685378
OS Grid: NT190853
Mapcode National: GBR 24.QG9Q
Mapcode Global: WH6S5.825Y
Plus Code: 9C8R3M3X+QF
Entry Name: Melville Cottage, 4 Station Place, Aberdour
Listing Name: Aberdour, 2 Station Place, Rose Cottage, Including Iron Railings, 4 Station Place, Melville Cottage
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334760
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3641
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Parish: Aberdour (Fife)
Traditional County: Fife
18th century. 2 adjoined houses, No 2 Rose Cottage to NE, No 4 Melville Cottage to SW. No 2; symmetrical, 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan house. No 4; assymetrical, 2-storey, 2-bay double-plan house with chamfered arris to far W corner. Render to both, painted stone margins to openings of No 2.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: No 2; central door flanked by windows, 1st floor windows close to eaves centred above. No 4; door to right window to left, 1st floor windows centred above.
NW ELEVATION: partially seen , (2002), plain double gable wall.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: No 2; central door, flanking windows, 1st floor windows centred above. No 4; unseen, (2002).
SE ELEVATION: No 2; small window to ground floor far left. No 4; 2nd gable set back to right with 20th century single storey extension, partially seen, (2002). Door to off-centre left, flanked by lean-to and window, 3 windows arranged unevenly to 1st floor.
No 2; timber panelled door, 2-pane letterbox fanlight. Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Pitched roof, modern covering; raised coped skew, coped gable apex stack to NE. Shared coped ridge stack, replacement polygonal cans. No 4; replacement door, predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Interlocking concrete tiles to SE, replacement clay pantiles to NW. Raised coped skew, coped gable apex stack to SW, replacement polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: No 2; modernised interior. No 4; unseen, (2002).
IRON RAILINGS: 19th century cast-iron railings to main elevation of No 2; fleur de lys and pineapple finials, gate missing, (2002).
NOTES: Aberdour is divided between the old Morton village of Easter Aberdour and the old Moray village of Wester Aberdour. No 2 and No 4 are on the boundary of this divide just falling into Wester Aberdour, the road turns sharply at the houses and crosses over the railway line into Easter Aberdour. The chamfered arris to the W of No 2 suggests that the road might have continued along a different route before the railway line was built in 1890, passing much closer to No 2. During the 19th century Aberdour became fashionable as a seaside resort, many of the houses in the town became lodgings for the growing number of visitors. Rooms were rented at No 4 during the summer peroid. From 1890 the house was acquired by the railway company (the station is located just behind the houses to the NE, see separate listing) and provided accomodation for the large number of workers associated with the station. With the cuts in the Railway network in the 1960s No 4 was sold and ceased to be associated with the station and railway.
Other nearby listed buildings