This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1028 / 56°6'9"N
Longitude: -3.2611 / 3°15'39"W
OS Eastings: 321657
OS Northings: 690714
OS Grid: NT216907
Mapcode National: GBR 25.MKBJ
Mapcode Global: WH6RS.WV9X
Plus Code: 9C8R4P3Q+4H
Entry Name: 11 The Maltings, Auchtertool
Listing Name: Auchtertool Village, 11 the Maltings and Main Street Including Gatepiers
Listing Date: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334796
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3673
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Later 19th century. Single storey with basement (on ground falling to N), 3-bay, former porter's lodge and office converted to house. Polychrome (red brick with contrasting yellow dressings) brick; dry-dash to E. Segmental-headed openings; roll-moulded arrises.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tall gabled porch projecting and breaking eaves to left of centre with round-headed doorway, 6-panelled modern timber door and semicircular fanlight, clock above in tympanum. Broad finialled, piended bay to right of centre with 3 windows (that to centre slightly larger); low flat-roofed extension in re-entrant angle to left, with window on return to left.
W ELEVATION: semi-octagonal finialled bay with windows to SW and W, and stepped chimney breast breaking eaves to NW.
N (MAIN STREET) ELEVATION: slightly advanced broad gabled bay to left of centre with 2 small openings at raised basement and raised centre tripartite window above; blank basement wall to right with single window above; boundary walls abutting to outer right and left.
E ELEVATION: window in bay to left of centre, with full-height chimney breast breaking eaves into wallhead stack at right.
Modern uPVC glazing (see Notes) with multi-pane top hopper effect. Red fishscale-tiles. Corbelled and coped brick stacks; red fireclay hooped roof ridging and finials.
INTERIOR: principal room to N with coomb ceiling and elaborate strapwork detail.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped red brick boundary walls with contrasting dressings and inset decorative railings, and semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls. Flat-coped, painted dressed ashlar, square-section gatepiers to W with decorative cast-iron gates, that to right containing inset pedestrian gate.
Listed in 1987 with its original glazing with multi-paned top hoppers, and a 2-leaf door the replacement of which reduces the material character of the building. The former porter's lodge and office belonged to the now demolished Auchtertool Distillery which closed in 1927, with the maltings remaining in use until circa 1970. A brewery was founded on this site in 1650, and converted to a distillery in 1845. Hume describes the buildings as "brick and rubble..., dominated by a 4-storey range of maltings with twin kilns. A 2-storey pantiled rubble block at right angles to the maltings is probably part of the brewery." The distillery changed hands a number of times, by 1896 it was operating as the Auchtertool Distillery Company owned by Robertson, Sanderson & Co, and was purchased by DCL in 1923-4. The nearby tenement at Sanderson Terrace was erected for housing distillery workers.
Other nearby listed buildings