This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0475 / 56°2'50"N
Longitude: -3.5038 / 3°30'13"W
OS Eastings: 306428
OS Northings: 684863
OS Grid: NT064848
Mapcode National: GBR 1W.QYNL
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.48T8
Entry Name: Mid Mill of Pitliver
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334900
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3760
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
1815. 3-storey former thread mill with rear L-plan wing. Harled wing; exposed rubble elsewhere.
E ELEVATION: advanced section to left: ground floor window to far left; 1st floor window above to left; 2nd floor window above to right. Metal mill wheel to right; 1st floor window above. Glazed ground floor door in right return of advanced section. Bay set back to right; single central 1st and 2nd floor windows.
N ELEVATION: central door; 1st floor window. Rear wing set back to right; irregularly placed windows; 5 ground floor and 3 1st floor windows.
W ELEVATION: door to left; flanking window to far left; ground floor window to far right. 1st floor window above right of door; 1st floor window to far right. Pair of 2nd floor windows to right and left. Advanced 2-storey rear wing to centre; plain gable; extended section to right; glazed door; window above.
S ELEVATION: advanced section to far left; ground floor window; large 1st floor window above; ground floor window in right return. Section set back to right; door to left; stair window above to right; 2 ground floor windows to right; 2 1st floor windows. Central single ground, 1st and 2nd floor windows in mill building gable wall.
Replacement 12-pane timber sash and case windows; glazed doors. Clay pantile roof; piended apart from rear wing gable wallhead and coped gable end stack. Lead coped, timber louvred vent to former kiln.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
Depicted as 'Mid Mill (Corn)' on the 1st Edition map. The mill was built as a thread-making mill in 1815 joining a number of mills situated along the Lyne Burn. It was later converted to a corn mill with a kiln and continued in use until mid-later 20th century under electric power. It was partially rebuilt after suffering a fire in 1945 and was converted for residential accommodation in the 1980's. The retention of the large external mill wheel adds to the building's significance. The adjacent miller's house is not part of the Statutory List.
Other nearby listed buildings