This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0349 / 56°2'5"N
Longitude: -3.4891 / 3°29'20"W
OS Eastings: 307310
OS Northings: 683442
OS Grid: NT073834
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.RVG8
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.CKRY
Plus Code: 9C8R2GM6+W9
Entry Name: 14-15 Halketshall, Limekilns
Listing Name: Limekilns, 14a, 14b Halketshall, Kingcraig, 15 Halketshall, Somervail Including Garden Wall
Listing Date: 31 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334909
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3769
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
Later 18th century. Symmetrical 2-storey and attic, 3-bay square-plan house. Cream painted principal elevation; rough harled elsewhere. Painted architraves to openings; chamfered window architraves; moulded eaves course.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central door; inscribed lintel with heart shape between intials; 'JW MF 1774'. Replacement timber 2-leaf door. Widely spaced flanking ground floor windows; 3 1st floor windows centred above.
W ELEVATION: partially seen; single window at 1st floor and attic to right.
N ELEVATION: ground floor windows; single 1st floor window to right and left. Central piended outshot at 1st floor (walkway below); door in left return (entrance to No 15); window in right return. Piended bipartite dormer windows wholly in roof to right and left.
2-pane timber windows; single rooflight to front; 2 to rear. Grey slate roof laid in diminishing courses; gable apex stacks. Raised skews; kneelered gables; moulded concave skewputts.
Rubble wall runs along either side of gable wall to rear bank. Monopitch, stone built privy abuts E garden wall; doorway in W wall; small window in S wall.
INTERIORS: not seen, 2000.
The door lintel commemorates the marriage of Joseph Wilson, a ship's master and Margaret Finlayson in 1774 (Fotheringham). Halketshall is situated in a prominent position in Limekilns, lining the road to Charlestown and overlooking the Firth of Forth. Halketshall is named after the Halkets who lived at nearby Pitfirrane Castle and who, in the 17th century acquired a large part of Limekilns.
Other nearby listed buildings