This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0614 / 56°3'41"N
Longitude: -3.485 / 3°29'5"W
OS Eastings: 307630
OS Northings: 686394
OS Grid: NT076863
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.Q31Q
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.FXQ3
Plus Code: 9C8R3G68+H2
Entry Name: Logie Farm
Listing Name: Logie House, Steading
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334921
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3777
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Late 18th/century U-plan steading and granary; partially reconstructed 1933. Single storey, U-plan steading with S facing crenellated screen walls to NE and SW ranges; raised ashlar surrounds to openings; eaves course and quoins. Central midden. Horse mill and walled paddock to rear of W range. Free-standing 8-bay, 2-storey cartshed and granary range to SE. Tooled, squared and coursed sandstone to granary and upper portion of U-plan range screen walls; tooled and coursed sandstone rubble to U-plan group.
SW RANGE: tall crenellated screen gable end wall; band course; small central arched recess. Sliding door to left; blind window to right with plaque; 'RE.CONSTRUCTED 1933 JMH' (James Maitland Hunt); blocked window to right of plaque; window; door to barn; doorway to far right. Rear of range; horse mill to left of centre; blind openings to right, latterly feed holes to byre (former pig house) and granary; flanking doors; arrow slit to left; machinery door to far left in former strawhouse. Circular horse mill; (30' diameter); polygonal roof retaining interior truss arrangement.
NW RANGE: arrow slit to far left (strawhouse); door to right with flanking windows (stable). Large cart opening into cartshed to far right with rounded right quoin; flanked by door into stable to left. Plain elevation at rear.
NE RANGE: door to far left; flanking window to right. Quoins to right of window, ridge stack above; door to byre to right. Residential section to right (former byres; pair of bipartite windows to left. Former cottage to right; 3 irregular windows. Former foreman's house to far right; central door; flanking paired windows. Rear: window to left; door to right; 2 windows right of door; 3 regular spaced windows to far right. Terminating crenellated screen wall to gable end; as with SW range but with ground floor window to right.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows to cottage. Flush, cast-iron 19th century rooflights throughout ranges and horse mill. Pitched, grey slate roofs. Raised louvered ridge ventilators to farm buildings; timber shutters inside close off vents. 3 coped ridge stacks to NE range. Weather-vane to horse mill. Cobbled area in yard by cottage door.
Low, 3-sided rubble wall (open to SE); curved at corners; semi-circular coping enclosing rectangular area in centre of U-plan range.
3 rubble walls encloses large square paddock to W of SW range.
CARTSHED AND GRANARY RANGE
SE ELEVATION: classical, symmetrical 5-bay elevation; ashlar surrounds to openings and blind windows. Central blind arched recess; cavetto moulding; tabs and keystone. Flanking wider, blind arched recesses; keystones and tabs with flanking, blind rectangular windows. 3 square granary openings centred above; timber shutters. Advanced outer bays; rusticated quoins; low parapet. Blind segmental arch in each outer bay; single square granary opening centred above; timber shutters. Continuous cill course to ground floor 'openings'; dividing band course below 1st floor openings; eaves course hugs 1st floor granary openings.
SW & NE ELEVATIONS: blank gable wall, ashlar band course continues from SE elevation; ashlar eaves course. 3 linked and coped ashlar stacks.
NW ELEVATION: 8 segmental-arched cart openings (some now blocked with brick); stone piers between. 8 square granary openings centred above; raised ashlar surrounds and cills; some boarded shutters remain. Eaves course hugging granary openings.
Piended slate roof.
INTERIOR: 1st floor door opens from granary into cartshed space below (1st 2 bays at NE). Stabling in 3rd-7th bay; flagged floor paviers; central drainage channel; feeding troughs; timber hayracks; trap door in 4th bay ceiling to loft above. Timber door in far right arch; stone steps to left lead to upper story; timber grain shaft remains to right.
WALL AND GATEPIERS
Rubble wall runs SW from NW elevation of granary, terminating with replacement conical coping stone. Pier with similar, slightly damaged coping stone attached to screen wall of SW range.
A-Group with Logie House and Logie House, Lodge and Gatepiers. The recesses in the crenellated end screen walls may have been for decoration or possibly flight holes for pigeons and the band course an alighting ledge. The latter is suggested by Thomson's plan of the U-plan steading which depicts a doocot in the southern end of the SW range, and the design may have been copied onto the screen wall of the NE range. The midden is now a small orchard and garden. The survival of the horse mill is of particular interest, as few remain from this early date. The castellated end walls and classical elevation of the cartshed and granary range face Logie House (see separate Listing), which lies to the SE. The U-plan steading was built before Logie House was altered in 1807, however, the granary (which is not depicted in Thomson's book) may have been built circa 1807, if not before, and was given its classical facade as it would have been visible from the house before the trees which surround Logie House grew and obscured the vista. The buildings are now used for storage and residential accommodation.
Other nearby listed buildings