History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holestane Farmhouse, Steading, Dairy and Outbuildings

A Category B Listed Building in Durisdeer, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.2803 / 55°16'49"N

Longitude: -3.7775 / 3°46'39"W

OS Eastings: 287190

OS Northings: 599904

OS Grid: NX871999

Mapcode National: GBR 271C.ZZ

Mapcode Global: WH5VG.YJCW

Entry Name: Holestane Farmhouse, Steading, Dairy and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335041

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3876

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Durisdeer

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid and Upper Nithsdale

Parish: Durisdeer

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Carronbridge

Description

Walter Newall architect, circa 1830. Substantial 2-storey,
3-bay farmhouse, with (later) dairy built against steep slope
to east, extensive and much altered courtyard steading at
lower level beyond. Farmhouse: L-plan, with full-height rear
wing; built of coursed stugged ashlar with polished
dressings; low addition/outbuildings to rear probably circa
1879 and later. South elevation: later corniced square
central porch; sash windows throughout with 12-pane glazing;
square 1st floor windows in outer bays. Moulded eaves;
piended slate roof with coped central apex stack set
transversely. West elevation also 3 bays; gabled low addition
(with door) in re-entrant angle. Dairy: rises one storey
above slope (2 lower levels); pink ashlar; garage slapping in
south wall; mullioned east and north-facing windows with
latticed glazing; stacks with corniced square flues; piended
slate roof with axial ventilator; interior of dairy room (now
garage); walls, roof and floors all tiled, latter with
armorial crests; marble slabs against walls mostly now
removed.
Steading: built 1830/1, but substantially altered circa 1880,
probably by Charles Howitt; further alterations/additions
until 20th century, but essentially 4 ranges built around
courtyard with (? circa 1887) cattle courts both within court
and to south, beyond haybarn; detached cartshed to north,
piended square-plan small shed to south east. 2-storey ranges
red and pink ashlar, low masonry ranges mostly whitewashed
rubble, cattle courts and haybarn with cast-iron columns.
Long 2-storey north range has lean-to's at north, gabled tall
central bay with pend and clocks, west wing with forestair to
either flank, east wing with cartshed to courtyard; east
range mostly 2 storeys also: narrow pend on west range leads
to dairy. Cartshed to north built on 2 levels, single storey
with lofts and gable-head dovecot, forestair on each gable;
office now at south end. All roofs slated, some with
ventilators.

Statement of Interest

Executed work differs from illustrations published by

Loudon; a degree of licence was used when publishing these

designs

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.