History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Closeburn Castle

A Category B Listed Building in Closeburn, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.2114 / 55°12'40"N

Longitude: -3.7183 / 3°43'5"W

OS Eastings: 290760

OS Northings: 592138

OS Grid: NX907921

Mapcode National: GBR 28G5.SP

Mapcode Global: WH5VW.V8KQ

Entry Name: Closeburn Castle

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335180

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4004

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Closeburn

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid and Upper Nithsdale

Parish: Closeburn

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Closeburn

Description

Late 14th century rectangular-plan tower house with mostly
18th and 19th century alterations and low additions. Out-
buildings to west. TOWER HOUSE: 3 storeys over vaulted
basement, small-paned irregularly-spaced windows mostly
altered, with segmental heads; coursed rubble, ashlar
dressings; gabled stone slab roof with ball finial and ridge
stack all enclosed by parapet latter crenellated in 19th
century: cap house over north wallhead; Interior: yett
survives, and iron-studded door; wheel stair at north; now 2
rooms on each floor, north ground floor room vaulted with
plain plaster ceiling ribs and masks; bedroom cupboard on
upper floor has (re-set) plaster mask over door; attic also
vaulted. ADDITIONS: (mostly red ashlar) roofed forestair at
west to original door; castellated porch (after 1856) at
north, segmental-arched east-facing 2-leaf door with side
lights, recessed piended bay adjoining with segmental-arched
window (also east-facing) flanked by blind square openings
having margins linked with eaves band. Asymmetrical rear
elevation, kitchen linked with outbuildings. Corniced
octagonal or diamond flues; slate roof.

Statement of Interest

After the mansion house of Closeburn was destroyed by fire

1748, the Kirkpatrick family returned to the castle "fitting

it up as their residence" (Ramage). A Rowan, in SHAMBELLIE,

1982, p.16, notes that David Bryce, architect, had visted

Shambellie ".... while on business in the area at Capenoch

and Closeburn tower" (July 1854). Porch not shown on 1st ed

O.S. (surveyed 1856). View in Grose's ANTIQUITIES shows a

plain parapet.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.