This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2504 / 56°15'1"N
Longitude: -4.667 / 4°40'1"W
OS Eastings: 234860
OS Northings: 709629
OS Grid: NN348096
Mapcode National: GBR 0H.B1KG
Mapcode Global: WH2L0.85W6
Entry Name: Inversnaid, the Garrison
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335237
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4040
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Located on a hill above the Inversnaid to Stronachlachar road, The Garrison is the rubble-wall remains of a barrack built in 1718-19, under the direction of James Smith and later Andrew Jelfe, both surveyors and architects for the Board of Ordnance. It formed a cornerstone of the Government's plan for restraining Jacobite sympathisers following the rebellion of 1715. Part of the remains have been adapted to serve as a roofless sheep-fank; the other remains have been incorporated into the fabric of a 19th century barn. The Garrison evidences the area's links to the Jacobite uprising and to the Government's methods of controlling the Highlands in the 18th century.
The Barracks as originally built were comprised of a near square enclosure, the N and S sides of which formed by rectangular barrack blocks. The N barrack block survives in a much reduced form and has been added to in the 19th and 20th century to form a sheep fank. Its N, W and E rubble walls remain at ground floor level, as do dividing walls projecting to the S, and in the NE compartment, masonry springers, evidence of a barrel vaulted roof. The S wall has been replaced by a later wall which runs just to the S of the line of the original. Later rubble enclosures have also been added to the N side of the original N wall.
The S barrack block has been extensively rebuilt, probably in the 19th century, to form a barn which follows the same footprint, and which contains the lower portions and footings of the exterior walls of the original barrck block. The barn is of painted rubble with dressed quoins, with a piended corrugated metal roof.
Adjoining the large barn to the NE is a small square-plan building, of 19th century character with rubble walls with dressed quoins and corrugated metal roof, which may also contain 1718-19 fabric in its W wall.
The location of the Inversnaid Garrison was highly strategic, overlooking as it did two fords where the road from Inversnaid harbour joined the Dumbarton road. This connection formed part of the important route that ran from Dumbarton, via Loch Lomond, Loch Katrine and Loch Tay, to join with the main road between Dunkeld and Inverness. The placing of a fort at Inversnaid may have also been influenced by a desire to curb the activities of local outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor.
The garrison at Inversnaid was reputed to have been largely destroyed during the 1745 rebellion, and although plans were made for new buildings at this time, it appears to have been rebuilt to its orginal 1718-19 design. Although the garrison was maintained and used for military purposes up to the late 18th century, by the 1820s the buildings were becoming dilapidated, and were being used as an inn. Around this time, the Governemnt handed over the land and buildings to the Duke of Montrose, who had owned the land originally. Subsequently, the present farm steading was established on the site.
In the garden of the nearby Inversnaid School is a 19th century memorial (see separate listing) to the soldiers stationed at the Garrison.
Other nearby listed buildings