This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0874 / 56°5'14"N
Longitude: -4.5454 / 4°32'43"W
OS Eastings: 241721
OS Northings: 691208
OS Grid: NS417912
Mapcode National: GBR 0M.NJTP
Mapcode Global: WH3MZ.48S5
Plus Code: 9C8Q3FP3+XR
Entry Name: Old Manse, Balmaha
Listing Name: Balmaha, the Old Manse and Steading
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335300
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4092
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
The Old Manse is a near-Z-plan 2-storey harled house with distinctive bow-ended wings. There are several phases of development, originating with a mid-18th century house which may incorporate earlier fabric. There is a single storey T-plan steading situated directly to the rear. The Old Manse retains character from the different major development phases, and offers historical significance as the original manse of Buchanan.
The mid-18th century phase of The Old Manse was a 3-bay, 2-storey rectangular-plan house with its front elevation facing SSW, towards Inchcailloch island, the location of the parish church until 1621, when it was abandoned in favour of a chapel on the mainland. It is therefore likely that the Old Manse contains pre-18th century fabric, remains of earlier manse/s which served Inchcailloch.
During the late 18th century or first half of 19th century additions were made to the original house, in the form of a single bay extension to the SE gable; to the rear of this is a single storey wing (housing stalls and laundry) extending to the NE. There was also a near-square, single bay addition to the NW gable and a single storey lean-to addition to the rear (NE). By 1896, the NE gable had been further extended and now terminated in a 3-bay bow-end with semi-conical roof; there had also been a single bay square-plan addition to the left of the front elevation; this incorporated a new principal entrance with 2-leaf timber storm door (the principal entrance would have previously been at the centre of the SW elevation of the 18th century core, but this opening now served as a window). This addition was further extended, circa 1910, with the addition of a 3-bay bow-end to match that already existing.
The fenestration is generally regularly disposed, with larger openings to the later additions, and a few earlier openings having been enlarged, including some to the SW elevation with mullions. The 18th century section of the SW elevation has piended and flat roofed dormers of possible early 20th century date, and there is a similar, larger, dormer breaking eaves to the right.
There are two stairs, a timber stair with turned balusters to the later NW wing, and a stone stair with winders to the 18th century section. Some bolection-moulded cornicing remains. There are several classical timber chimneypieces of 19th century date, and a black marble chimneypiece to the bow-ended 1st floor drawing room. Timber-boarded ceilings to attic rooms.
Mostly harled with smooth painted stone margins; painted rubble with tooled margins to single storey wing. Timber sash and case windows, mostly with horns; mostly 12-pane glazing to 18th century section, 8-pane glazing to remainder, all with very fine glazing bars. Piended roofs with graded slates. 2 coped ridge stacks to 18th century section; corniced ridge stack to both bow-ended wings; circular cans. Some cast iron rainwater goods.
Built of painted random rubble with squared quoins and margins, this steading is probably late 18th/ early 19th century, and was originally L-plan; the SE wing being slightly taller to accommodate a hay loft; the door to the loft breaks the eaves. By 1896 an addition had been made to the NW, forming a T-plan; this newer section now has a large opening to the SW to accommodate modern farm machinery. There are some flagstones and stalls remaining to the interior of the steading buildings. The roofs are piended with graded slates.
Other nearby listed buildings