This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8867 / 55°53'12"N
Longitude: -2.1534 / 2°9'12"W
OS Eastings: 390500
OS Northings: 665962
OS Grid: NT905659
Mapcode National: GBR F0DC.LM
Mapcode Global: WH9XW.W9QJ
Plus Code: 9C7VVRPW+MJ
Entry Name: Manse, Coldingham Church
Listing Name: Coldingham, the Bow, Benedict House (Former Parish Manse) Including Ancillary Structure, Garden Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335305
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4095
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
1801; repaired and enlarged 1828; further additions and alterations. 2-storey, 4-bay, near rectangular-plan former manse with single storey, flat-roofed porch to front; single storey piended porch recessed to side (SW); full-height projection at rear. Predominantly harled; lightly coursed render to rear projection; sandstone ashlar dressings throughout. Narrow quoin strips; flush margins; projecting cills. Single storey, near rectangular-plan ancillary structure to SW.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single window in projecting porch off-set to right of centre; timber panelled door in return to left, plate glass fanlight; single window in return to right. Single windows in remaining bays recessed at ground; single windows in all bays at 1st floor. Piended porch recessed to outer left.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay. Regularly fenestrated.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated 2-bay block to right. Single windows at both floors in subsequent bay to left. Single windows at both floors in full-height projection to outer left. Piended porch recessed to outer right.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: single windows in piended porch off-set to left of centre; boarded timber door in return to right, 2-pane fanlight. Single window centred at 1st floor.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof. Corniced ashlar ridge and wallhead stacks; harled ridge stack to NE; various circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: vestibule door with decorative etched glass panel; fanlight. Basket-arched vestibule opening (circa 1900) with engaged square-plan columns, decorative carving and dentilled cornice. Timber dado rails in part; plaster cornices; timber panelled doors. Stair comprising timber treads, plain uprights, timber handrail. Various chimneypieces.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: harl-pointed sandstone rubble; rubble dressings. SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: modern garage door off-set to right of centre. NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Bipartite window at centre; boarded timber doors in flanking bays. Timber door in single storey addition recessed to outer right. Grey slate piended roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
GARDEN WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped rubble sandstone walls enclosing site. Square-plan, coursed cream ashlar gatepiers flanking entrance; pyramidal caps; 2-leaf timber gate.
Noted in the OS Name Book as a "...neat house, 2 stories
[sic] high, having a small lawn ornamented with trees, suitable offices and a good walled garden attached. It is the property of the parish minister...Rev. Munro." Originally associated with the nearby Coldingham Priory - see separate list entry. A prominently sited, well-detailed house, now in private residential use. The varied rooflines and differing materials help track the structure's gradual development - the SW portion of what is now the main block probably having been the original house, extended to the NE to form a near L-plan. This addition was then further extended to the NW to form a U-plan, the courtyard of which was later filled in to form the near rectangular-plan structure that remains today. The porch (originally surmounted by a crenellated parapet) was added in the early 20th century. A greenhouse, once recessed to the right of the house (see Thomson), is no longer in place (1999). The stable block to the S, once associated with the manse, has been converted to residential use ('Stable Cottage') and is now in separate ownership.
Other nearby listed buildings