This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8361 / 55°50'9"N
Longitude: -2.2057 / 2°12'20"W
OS Eastings: 387211
OS Northings: 660334
OS Grid: NT872603
Mapcode National: GBR F01Y.8S
Mapcode Global: WH9Y2.2KXV
Plus Code: 9C7VRQPV+CP
Entry Name: Stoneshiel Hall
Listing Name: Stoneshiel Hall Including Ancillary Structure, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335311
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4100
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Circa 1840 with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan castellated Tudor mansion with lower, 2-storey, 2-bay en-suite addition to side; further 3-storey addition at rear forming near L-plan; various single and 2-storey additions in rear re-entrant angle. Coursed and tooled cream sandstone; sandstone ashlar dressings; harled rear additions. Base course; moulded string course dividing floors to right; moulded cill course to side addition; moulded eaves; crenellated parapets. Chamfered openings with stepped hoodmoulds; projecting cills. Single storey, 5-bay ancillary structure (former laundry) to N.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay block to right with classical doorpiece at ground to left comprising pilastered surround with decorative frieze and shallow block pediment; 2-leaf timber panelled door; decorative fanlight. Single windows at ground in remaining bays to right; single windows in all bays at 1st floor. Regularly fenestrated 2-bay wing adjoined to outer left.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay block to right with blocked windows at both floors to outer right; large single window at ground to left; blind, octagonal opening aligned above. 3-storey wing slightly recessed to left with blocked door opening at ground to right; single windows at ground and 1st floors to left; blind, octagonal opening aligned above.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: original block to left with single window centred at 1st floor; blocked window at 1st floor to outer left; single storey, lean-to addition off-set to right of centre; single window aligned above. 3-storey projection to outer right with blocked windows centred at 1st and 2nd floors; 2-storey addition in re-entrant angle to left (adjoining lean-to addition) with single windows at both floors.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: original block to left with single windows centred at ground and 1st floors. Single storey, lean-to addition recessed to right with 2-storey addition set behind. 3-storey wing recessed to outer right with single windows at ground and 2nd floors
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Corniced, octagonal-plan sandstone stacks; circular terracotta cans.
INTERIOR: original features predominantly in place. Stair with timber treads, plain uprights, timber handrail. Timber panelled doors throughout; timber skirting boards; various fireplaces; plain plasterwork. Remainder not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, 5-bay former laundry. Brick-built (whitewashed to front); coursed sandstone elevation to SW. SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber doors at centre and in subsequent bay to left; 2-pane fanlights. 2-leaf boarded timber garage door to outer left; single windows in 2 bays to outer right. SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind, octagonal opening centred in gablehead. Coped courtyard wall adjoined to right. 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; small rooflight. Grey slate roof; crowstepped skews. Corniced, brick-built ridge and apex stacks; circular can. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: rubble walls partially enclosing site. Square-plan, corniced sandstone gatepiers flanking entrance to W; moulded panels to front; fluted hemispherical caps; spearheaded iron gates.
Previously called Stoneshiel House. Noted in the OS Name Book as "...a modern built mansion house with ornamental grounds and substantial offices..." An impressive house which retains interesting details - the blind octagonal openings being of particular note. The nearby former dovecot and ancillary structure are listed separately. The gate lodge is still in place to the W. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr Henry Hardie, Esq as owner and resident at Stoneshiel in 1866.