This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7932 / 55°47'35"N
Longitude: -2.1656 / 2°9'56"W
OS Eastings: 389712
OS Northings: 655554
OS Grid: NT897555
Mapcode National: GBR F19G.Y4
Mapcode Global: WH9Y8.PNY7
Plus Code: 9C7VQRVM+7P
Entry Name: Edington Mains
Listing Name: Edington Mains Farmhouse Including Ancillary Structure, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335354
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4125
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Possibly late 17th to early 18th century with 19th century wing set at right angles to front; later additions and alterations. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with taller, 2-storey wing adjoined at front forming L-plan; flat-roofed porch set in re-entrant angle with lean-to glazed enclosure above. Heavily-pointed, tooled sandstone rubble (predominantly pink); sandstone ashlar dressings; cream sandstone ashlar porch. Tooled rubble quoins; tooled long and short surrounds to openings (droved in part to later wing); some flush, some projecting cills. Single storey ancillary structure to W.
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: original 3-bay block with modern, 2-leaf glazed door centred at ground; single window aligned above; single windows at both floors in flanking bays; piended dormer off-set to right of centre. Piended wing projecting to right with tripartite windows centred at both floors (narrow side-lights).
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: flat-roofed porch in re-entrant angle with 2-leaf timber panelled door; plate glass fanlight; door-surround comprising flanking pilasters, consoled cornice; lean-to glazed addition above (linking upper floors of both wings). Single windows at both floors in bay to outer right. Gabled wing projecting to left with single windows at both floors off-set to right of centre; attic light above; single storey, gabled block adjoined at ground to left with lean-to greenhouse to front.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: original 3-bay house (5-bay at ground) with modern sliding doors centred at ground; single window aligned above. Single windows at ground in flanking bays; single windows at both floors in subsequent bays to left and right. Taller, 2-storey wing recessed to outer left with timber door and small single window in single storey projection at ground. Single window centred in single storey block projecting to outer right.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 19th century wing with large, round-arched stair window at centre; single windows at both floors in bay to right; single window at ground in bay to outer right.
Plate glass, 4- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate pitched and piended roofs; stone-coped skews; rendered and brick-built ridge and apex stacks; various circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: harl-pointed sandstone rubble; tooled rubble dressings. Near rectangular-plan garage (?) block with chamfered angle, forming part of garden wall, to W. Large, square-headed openings (blocked to N). Small rooflights. Grey slate roof; sandstone ridging; small stack to W with single circular can. INTERIOR: used as store.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: rubble-coped, tooled rubble sandstone walls partially enclosing site. Circular-plan, tooled rubble gatepiers flanking entrance; hemispherical caps; timber vehicular gate broken.
An impressive, well-detailed farmhouse (described as a "...neat dwelling house" in the OS Name Book), thought to date from the late 17th, early 18th century - the small windows set just beneath the eaves in the original wing indicating its age. With its tripartite windows and round-arched stair light, the E wing is obviously later - the flat-roofed porch and glazed upper level probably later still. The farm steading, the majority of which has been replaced with new build, is set to the N. The Rutherfurd notes a Mr John Wilson as farmer here in 1866. Home to Jim Clark, world champion racing driver, from 1948.
Other nearby listed buildings