This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1718 / 56°10'18"N
Longitude: -4.4994 / 4°29'57"W
OS Eastings: 244921
OS Northings: 700492
OS Grid: NN449004
Mapcode National: GBR 0P.H369
Mapcode Global: WH3ML.V4LG
Entry Name: Couligartan Aqueduct Bridge No 1 (Former Glasgow Corporation Water Works)
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335379
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4151
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
John F Bateman (engineer) and Alston & Gourlay (ironwork) 1856-9, some alterations 1860-64. 124 yard aqueduct bridge comprising iron trough carried on 2 battered masonry piers and battered masonry embankments at each end. Cast-iron trough to embankment sections; riveted wrought-iron to centre; coursed, bull-faced sandstone piers; whinstone rubble embankments. Sandstone ashlar cope to embankments. Conduit emerges from sandstone archway at each end; standard GCWW plain cast-iron railings. Security cover and railings added to embankment sections of trough 2007.
There are several other structures associated with the former Glasgow Corporation Water Works Loch Katrine scheme, including similar aqueducts, listed in Aberfoyle parish, and also in Buchanan and Callandar Parishes.
Glasgow's Lord Provost Robert Stewart (1810-66) was the driving force behind the search to find a clean source of water for Glasgow, and so to reduce the rate of illness and death through water-borne diseases. Loch Katrine was identified as a suitable supply, and an Act of Parliament approving the scheme was finally passed in 1855 after two initial rejections, including one from the Admiralty who were worried that the works would result in the silting-up of the Forth.
Work began on the scheme in 1856, under the supervision of John Bateman; the conduit which carries the water between Loch Katrine and Glasgow runs mostly underground and was excavated by hand with the aid of gunpowder; the spoil was brought to the surface through intermittently placed shafts (see separate listing). The scheme was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859.
Further Acts of Parliament in 1882 and 1885 allowed for the construction of a second conduit and the raising of the loch level. This work was not completed until 1901, under engineer James Morrison Gale. A brass plaque on the wall of the intake records a further raising of the loch level between 1919 and 1929.
Upgraded C(S) to A following the thematic review of Loch Katrine water supply system in 2008.
Other nearby listed buildings