This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.32 / 56°19'12"N
Longitude: -4.3289 / 4°19'44"W
OS Eastings: 256063
OS Northings: 716616
OS Grid: NN560166
Mapcode National: GBR 0W.5ZCP
Mapcode Global: WH3LX.GDVV
Plus Code: 9C8Q8MCC+2C
Entry Name: Immervoulin, Strathyre
Listing Name: Strathyre, Immervoulin
Listing Date: 6 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335423
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4195
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Circa 1830, probably incorporating earlier fabric and with later 19th century and later 20th century alteration and additions. Single storey and attic cottage with detached flanking byres forming open U-plan. A relatively well-preserved example of a small Improvement farm occupying a prominent position on the main road just South of Strathyre.
Cottage: 3 bays with lower 2-bay addition to S gable. Central door with flanking windows, piend-roofed dormers to attic and gablehead stacks. There is a relatively large height of wall between the top of the windows and the eaves. At the rear is a circa 1860 canted bay window to one side and a flat-roofed 20th century addition across the rest of the elevation. The older part of the house has deep bracketed eaves.
N Byre: slit windows and timber-boarded doors to courtyard elevation; doorway at attic level on E (road) elevation; 20th century picture window to W gable; 20th century timber cabin adjoining N elevation.
S Byre: irregular arrangement of windows and timber-boarded doors to main elevations; small window to E gable apex.
Boundary Wall: coped random rubble boundary / retaining wall to road.
Materials: 2-leaf timber panelled front door; timber sash and case windows with 4- and 8-pane glazing. Random rubble with roughly squared quoins and dressings to all buildings; house white-washed. Coped stacks with yellow clay cans. Grey slate to roof; corrugated iron or asbestos roofs to byres.
There has probably always been a farm or township at Immervoulin: it is certainly older than the village of Strathyre, which was developed from the early 19th century onwards. The earliest record of Immervoulin is in the Annexed Estates Reports, following the Jacobite uprising of 1745. At that time Immervoulin was a relatively large township occupied by 11 families and who together owned about 150 cattle, 110 sheep and 14 horses. The annual rent was nearly 14 pounds. The present buildings appear stylistically to date from about 1830, although they may contain fabric from earlier buildings. The relatively high expanse of wall between the top of the windows and the wall head of the main part of the cottage is quite unusual and gives the impression that the wallhead may have been raised at some point. However, there is no evidence of this in the masonry, so it is likely that the house was designed this way in order to accommodate the attic storey.