This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0729 / 56°4'22"N
Longitude: -4.2894 / 4°17'21"W
OS Eastings: 257590
OS Northings: 689043
OS Grid: NS575890
Mapcode National: GBR 0Y.P8BY
Mapcode Global: WH3N3.2MP8
Plus Code: 9C8Q3PF6+56
Entry Name: Edinbellie
Listing Name: Edinbellie, Former United Presbyterian Church (Barn)
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335430
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4202
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Earlier 18th century. Rectangular-plan (formerly T-plan incorporating aisle to N); former United Presbyterian church (now barn). Symmetrical design with flat-arched openings with splayed voussoirs (except to N elevation); keystones to those to former principal (S) elevation. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Eaves cornice. Flush surrounds to openings (except to N elevation).
S (FORMER PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: largely overgrown (1999). Central entrance (now blocked), originally with circular window above. 2 windows to either side (lower height ones to outer left and outer right).
E and W ELEVATIONS: central entrance (outline of former gabled porch visible); window (blocked) to gable above.
N ELEVATION: large inserted barn entrance to left of centre; window (probably inserted) to right.
Glazing removed (door furniture also). Grey slate roof.
INTERIOR: practically no evidence of former use remaining. Roof trusses replaced (corbels formerly supporting gallery partly intact).
An early dissenting church, now (1999) in poor condition as a barn. It would appear to be that referred to in the 'Statistical Account' (1796) as that belonging to '459 Antiburgher Seceders, who have had a place of worship in the parish about 60 years'. One of the earliest dissenting churches in Scotland. It was built following the establishment of a Secession Movement (from the Church of Scotland) in 1733. Balfron appears to have sustained one of the earliest Secession congregations, which met in the 1730's on the banks of the Endrick Water at nearby Honey Holm. Sometimes the Revs. Ebenezer Erskine and Ralph Erskine, two of the founders of the Secession Movement travelled to preach here. In 1742 the congregation got its first permanent minister, the Rev. John Cleland. The church's Session Book details procedings at the 'meeting house of Balfron' from 1742 onwards (the church must have been built at or shortly before this date). By the 1860's it had become the United Presbyterian Church of Balfron. It was replaced by a new United Presbyterian church at Honey Holm in 1865 and descended into use as a farm building.