This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1786 / 56°10'43"N
Longitude: -4.3809 / 4°22'51"W
OS Eastings: 252301
OS Northings: 700994
OS Grid: NN523009
Mapcode National: GBR 0T.GRSW
Mapcode Global: WH3MG.PY1S
Plus Code: 9C8Q5JH9+FJ
Entry Name: 4 Craiguchty Terrace, Aberfoyle
Listing Name: Aberfoyle, Main Street, Nos 1-6 Inclusive Craiguchty Terrace Including Outhouses
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335441
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4209
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Craiguchty Terrace was built circa 1895 as a terrace of 6 houses, designed by James Miller in an English Arts and Crafts style using red sandstone with red Rosemary tile-hung upper floors and roof and detailed with numerous tall stacks and half-timbered gables. With some houses now subdivided into two flats, the terrace is situated on rising ground, set back from the N side of the street within gardens. Craiguchty Terrace retains some original interior detailing, and makes a strong contribution to the streetscape of Aberfoyle.
The front (N) elevation of the terrace is near symmetrical, with coupled doorways flanked by canted bays to ground floor; the 1st floor has large jettied half-timbered gables surmounting the bays at the outer left bay and 2 outer right bays. The inner houses have smaller flush half-timbered gabled dormers breaking the eaves above the canted bays with a flanking horizontally orientated window under the eaves, and each couple of houses share a horizontal flat-headed dormer to the roof.
At the rear (N) elevation, each pair of houses share a single storey, square-plan kitchen out-shot, which are flat roofed to allow access from French windows on the 1st floor, and have timber stairs leading down into the back gardens.
No 1: majority of original joinery and plasterwork. Timber and leaded glazed screen and inner door. Timber-panelled wainscot and original chimneypiece to rear ground floor room.
No 3: majority of original joinery and plasterwork remains. Timber and glazed screen and inner door. In rear ground floor room, pulvinated timber chimneypiece with mantel mirror; timber stair with turned balusters.
Access not obtained (2005) to Nos. 2 and 4 (both subdivided) and Nos. 5 and 6.
Geometric tiles to most vestibule floors.
Bullfaced red sandstone to ground floor to front and side elevations with red clay tile hung upper floor; roughly coursed whin rubble with red sandstone dressings and margins to rear. Timber-panelled and glazed front doors with crown glass panes. Multi-pane casement windows. Piended Rosemary-tiled roof with overhanging eaves. Tall bullfaced sandstone corniced stacks with red clay circular cans; 6 wallhead stacks to rear, 5 ridge stacks, and asymmetrical walls end stack to each side elevation.
At the top of the rear gardens, each pair of houses share one of 3 small rectangular brick outhouses with pitched slated roofs
The land on which Craiguchty Terrace stands was feued by the Duke of Montrose to Hugh Kennedy in 1876. Kennedy is believed to have been involved in bringing the railway to Aberfoyle.
No 3 appears to have been feud to its first occupant in 1885.
The name Craiguchty appears to have been taken from an earlier settlement just to the N of the terrace (demolished).
Early photographs of the terrace show it with a brick wall and different railings; these were replaced in the 20th century by the current red concrete walls and palings.
Other nearby listed buildings