History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dunscore Village Dunscore Parish Church and Churchyard

A Category A Listed Building in Dunscore, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1404 / 55°8'25"N

Longitude: -3.7796 / 3°46'46"W

OS Eastings: 286661

OS Northings: 584340

OS Grid: NX866843

Mapcode National: GBR 2910.J3

Mapcode Global: WH5W7.X2C3

Entry Name: Dunscore Village Dunscore Parish Church and Churchyard

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335466

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4230

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunscore

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid and Upper Nithsdale

Parish: Dunscore

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Dunscore

Description

James Thomson of Dumfries, architect. Built 1823-4. Simple, rectangular-plan, 3-bay simply buttressed, Gothic church,

3-stage square tower at west gable. Rubble-built, with

contrasting painted ashlar dressings, and long and short

worked dressings to doors, windows and tower quoins. All

openings hood-moulded and pointed, windows to body of church

have simple Y-traceried mullion with transom at gallery

level. Small panes, glazing bars also Y-traceried. Tower door

faces west, lintelled doorway, traceried fanlight; windows to

flanks. Tower stages off-set; blind window (continuous cill

course at eaves level) to each face of middle stage; louvred

belfry openings (with modern clock to 2 faces) above.

Pinnacles to buttresses linked by simple parapet. Door

between 2 windows in east gable; cill band, hood-moulds

linked by string course on side elevations. Cornice and

blocking course; slate roof.

Interior: horseshoe gallery, with panelled front, on plain

columns; curved pulpit below domed sounding board, latter

supported by pilastered and panelled back board on west wall;

flanking doors at middle stage of tower, with flight of steps

to each.

Quadrangular churchyard enclosure has rubble-built,

ashlar-coped perimeter wall. Mostly 19th century monuments,

but some earlier, notably 17th/18th century Grierson of

Dalgonar enclosure.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical Building in use as such. Category A for

interior fittings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.