This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7566 / 55°45'23"N
Longitude: -2.3052 / 2°18'18"W
OS Eastings: 380940
OS Northings: 651513
OS Grid: NT809515
Mapcode National: GBR D1BW.Q8
Mapcode Global: WH8X8.KKHS
Plus Code: 9C7VQM4V+JW
Entry Name: Kimmerghame Mill
Listing Name: Kimmerghame Mill
Listing Date: 26 March 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335519
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4274
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Mid 19th century, probably incorporating earlier fabric and with later alterations including those dated, 1950 and 1951. Complex of corn mill, associated steading and residential ranges. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, chamfered arrises. Crowstepped gables with beak skewputts.
MILL COTTAGE AND BARN RANGE: long 2-storey range with 3-bay cottage to outer end and longer barn beyond, slightly advanced to courtyard with rounded corner. Cottage with door flanked by windows to courtyard elevation to centre and left, gabled dormerheads to 2 1st floor windows breaking eaves above, broad outer bay of near blank wall-plane to right with 1 window at ground; rear elevation with door flanked by window to ground in bay to right, further dormerheaded 1st floor window above, blank bay to centre and window at ground in bay to left; end gable with canted and corbelled ashlar oriel window with stone roof. Barn with cross-shaped ventilator gunloops to centre to courtyard elevation, flanked to right by door, and door flanked by window with large gabled hayloft door above to outer right, further door flanked by windows and hayloft to left; rear elevation largely blank with gabled dormer window breaking eaves to outer left by cottage; end gable with window at ground and part louvred window above.
CARTSHED, GRANARY AND MILL TOWER: at right angles with barn and cottage range, cartshed to centre with tower closing range. 3-bay cartshed with granary above, inner elevation with segmental-arched openings blocked 1950 with door at centre and windows in flanking arches, granary dormerheads breaking eaves above with timber slatted lower section and multi-paned upper sash; outer elevation with implement shed spanning across ground (lean-to with cast-iron columns), 2 granary windows (as above). Gabled tower of 3 stages with door and window at ground to inner elevation, window/loft door to 2nd stage and blinded oculus to dovecot in gablehead; corner rounded to 2nd stage were corbelled to square; outer elevation also spanned by implement shed at ground (dated 1951), string course below gablehead with louvred, gabled opening to dovecot above, stack; side elevation blank with later lean-to at ground and corbelled wallhead.
STORE/FORMER STABLE AND BOTHY RANGE: free-standing 2-part gabled range with higher block to W with sliding machinery doors to gable end, blocked windows to one side and doors and window to other. Lower range beyond on rising ground with 2 irregular doors to left of S elevation and further doors to right flanked by square windows to centre and left; 2 doors and 2 windows to right of N elevation. Corrugated roofing to higher block with tin cowl ventilators, graded slates to lower with zinc ventilators, both with crowstepped gables and beak skewputts.
CART RANGE: sited at centre of complex; gabled range with blocked segmental arch flanked by door and blocked door in E end, lower gabled stone addition with taller round carriage arch and sliding door to W end, 2 high windows to N side, later addition abutting S side with stone end to E. Graded slate roof, crowstepped gables with beak skewputts.
MILL HOUSE: T-plan 2-storey gabled house to E of complex. Gabled wing projecting to centre of main block with narrow window at ground and window above, door and narrow window on return to right (panelled door with small-pane fanlight); flanking bays of main block each with window at ground and 1st floor, latter breaking eaves in gabled dormerheads. Rear elevation to courtyard with later flat-roofed single storey addition at ground, window to centre of 1st floor.
12-pane, timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Crowstepped gables with beak skewputts. Gablehead stacks.
STORE: linked to house by overthrow to pedestrian gateway, small lean- to stone outbuilding, door and small square window, corrugated asbestos roof.
WALLS: low dwarf wall shielding entrance elevation to mill house with semicircular coping. Taller wall by mill cottage similarly coped and with large square gatepier, lower, flat-coped wall to other side f gate with duck/hen opening at ground.
The NSA reports that Kimmerghame Mill was one of four within the parish, and noted the existence of saw mill (this being to the north of the main barn range, now demolished). There are drawings by Alexander Gilkie, 1789, at NMRS (BWD/50/26 and 27) for a 2-storey rectangular plan building with pavilions which may have been built here or as stables to the house, but as nothing remains resembling this we must either assume that it was either not built or else accommodated in/ destroyed by later work.
Other nearby listed buildings