History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stravithie House

A Category C Listed Building in Dunino, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2908 / 56°17'26"N

Longitude: -2.7545 / 2°45'16"W

OS Eastings: 353393

OS Northings: 711183

OS Grid: NO533111

Mapcode National: GBR 2S.7R3K

Mapcode Global: WH7SD.N4JQ

Entry Name: Stravithie House

Listing Date: 20 June 1979

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335567

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4318

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunino

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Dunino

Description

1866, Scottish Baronial, enlarged by Gillespie and Scott (St Andrews) 1892, in same style. Originally small 2 storey, attic and basement Mansion-house. L plan. Snecked rubble, polished ashlar dressings. North front has advanced wing to right, crow-stepped with large bi-partite window at ground floor, single window at 1st and small window to attic over. Former entrance door, blocked as window, in re-entrant, carried up

as tower, crow-stepped gable, heraldic panel over door, single window over. Entrance steps altered to accommodate small rendered crow-stepped porch to left, dated 1955. Left hand bay window at ground and 1st, with crow-step gabled dormer head. West front: dated 1866 on chimney gable; south Front: 3 bay with canted bay at right. Additions of 1892 to East. North front: 4 bay, 2 storey, attic and basement with tall 4 storey tower with conical roof over entrance at left hand centre bay. South front has tripartites on all floors at right. Original glazing throughout. 1866 house has plate glass at principal floor, centre divide sashes elsewhere. 1892 additions have centre divide in lower sashes, small panes in upper. Interior of 1866 part has typical mid 19th century plasterwork, woodwork etc; SE apartment, principal floor has light Jacobean-style ceiling.

Statement of Interest

Built for Dr Hugh F C Cleghorn, additions for Colonel Sprott. Alterations and E wing converted to flats. Walker and Pride 1956.

Replaces Wakefield House on same site.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.