This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4807 / 56°28'50"N
Longitude: -3.4456 / 3°26'44"W
OS Eastings: 311060
OS Northings: 733003
OS Grid: NO110330
Mapcode National: GBR V6.LMGN
Mapcode Global: WH6PZ.1CHN
Plus Code: 9C8RFHJ3+7P
Entry Name: 42, 44 King Street, Stanley
Listing Name: 42-44 King Street
Listing Date: 9 June 1981
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335754
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4484
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathtay
Traditional County: Perthshire
Late 18th century. 2-storey, 5-bay traditional terraced houses and former shop, now comprising 2 dwellings (2012). Rubble; smooth margins. Some raised margins. Moulded eaves cornice. Central nepus gable with replacement stack.
No 42 to right with moulded Doric doorpiece with 2-leaf panelled timber entrance door with fanlight above. Large plate glass shop window to right.
S (rear) elevation: 5 bays. Pair of small, piended attic dormers, to left timber boarded 2-leaf doorway, and doorway to right (non-traditional). Lean to brick outbuildings linked to far right and left, with slate roofs
Predominantly replacement timbers plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, raised skews. Replacement gable stacks; some cans missing.
INTERIOR: (seen, 2012). Original room layout largely evident, with some alteration (see Notes). Straight staircase to both properties.
This little externally altered, late 18th property with its distinctive nepus gable and rare survival of classical doorpiece, forms a significant addition to the streetscape of the important planned village of Stanley. The large shop window to the street elevation of the property is a interesting feature and the 2 attic windows to the rear of the property add further interest.
The original function of the property is unknown at present, but one photograph, of around 1900-1920 shows No 42 as the Stanley Institute. No 44 was originally 2 flats, with an open entrance close. These have now been converted into one property, with the open close forming the internal hallway to the property.
The village of Stanley was laid out in 1784 by James Stobie, the Atholl Estate factor, to provide housing for the workers at the nearby Stanley Mills (see separate listing). The village was laid out in a grid pattern, with King Street being one of the main streets.
List description updated, 2012.
Other nearby listed buildings